Monday, June 18, 2007

Busy, busy, busy!

We have been working hard at the house, even getting help from BIL John, Mom, Dad and Michael. With their help, the patio door has been replaced, the kitchen cabinets painted a clean, bright white, a previous door filled in, the bedrooms prepped for new carpet, the rest of the walls painted, and lots of other jobs- Thanks so much!!
On Thursday I did way too much and felt it for the rest of the weekend...but now that Monday is here we're rarin' to go again!
Here's the progress on the bathroom:

Before:
















Nick took out the bathtub and the wall behind it to make the bathroom larger. It will now be like two rooms connected with a pocket door. A double sink and toilet for everyday use, and in the room behind a soaker tub, shower and toilet in our "ensuite". It will have access from our master bedroom. Cool, hey?! The trenches were dug for all of the new plumbing, and Nick had to fill them in with cement and now can tile over it. Tonight he is going to build the walls so the plumber can come back to finish the plumbing and get our bathroom working again....yay! As soon as that happens, we can move in!!!






We took flashlights and had a peek down the heating ducts....YUCK!!!! It looked like they hadn't been cleaned in the whole 30 years the house has been standing. And yes, those are spiders! And lego, rust, cat food...you name it, it was down there! My alleries flare up just looking at the photos. So, my hero Nick decided he wasn't going to put our health at risk by continuing the use of those ducts. The rust means that there is moisture in them, which means mold, which means lots of other problems, so.... Nick filled in the ducts with cement (Robyn loved helping by throwing rocks in first and then helping him smooth the cement over!) and he found a really neat product on the internet to heat the house with. They are flat, square panels that hang on the walls, just above the floor, and use convection to radiate heat. They are electric but are very efficient and economical...and they give off lots of heat without being too hot to touch! They can even be painted the colour of the wall and you can put furniture in front of them, which is great in a small house! No more ducts or baseboards to worry about! It's called "econoheat" if you are interested and want to do a search.






Here are what the ducts looked like:




Have a good week, everyone! I'm off to do the ironing that has been piling up... sometimes the house we're still in needs to be taken care of, too! (:
And just so you don't leave with the horrible image of the ducts in your mind, here are some lovely calla lillies that grow in my parent's front yard:

13 Comments:

At June 18, 2007 12:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Lisa, looks like a lot of work!!Good idea with filling those ducts in!!... I've been thinking about you as we just finished up with Hamilton's 5th annual Dine 'n Dash... You were missed, but I was thankful to have Mary Ann who did an awesome job..(You trained her well :-)
Take Care.

 
At June 18, 2007 12:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I posted that as anonymous my accident...
Tobi

 
At June 18, 2007 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, things are coming together. Nice to have a handy husband. Man those spiders gave me the heebajeebies.

 
At June 18, 2007 1:49 PM , Blogger Doulanic said...

hey - Esther took my word! I was going to say that those duct pictures gave me the heebajeebies! EW! Hope everything else goes well and you get moved in soon ....
Nicole

 
At June 18, 2007 3:31 PM , Blogger PSS said...

Sounds like progress is being made on your house. So, you decided to paint your kitchen cabinets after all, eh? And thanks for leaving us with a picture of the lilies - they are gorgeous!

Trish

 
At June 18, 2007 5:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Nick wanted to just leave the cabinets, but my Mom didn't want me to have to wait another year for a brighter kitchen, so she came over and we painted them without Nick knowing (; He agrees that it looks better now, though!

 
At June 18, 2007 7:16 PM , Blogger Chantelle said...

Wow, great progress on your house. Looks like alot of work but Nick must be enjoying it! A nice change to teaching - he's a real handy man. I think you scored well. (hehe) Well you take care and don't overwork yourself too much. You must be looking forward to settling into your new home. Beautiful flowers - I think we have them over here as well. Similar anyway; but they call they weeds!!!!!

 
At June 18, 2007 7:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that funny?! I remember that when I was in Australia I saw calas growing wild in the fields ...and everyone there laughed when I told them that here it's a real treat to see them!!

 
At June 18, 2007 9:49 PM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Wow things are going full bore at your new place! That is so exciting! I guess you guys are just itching to move in...
And ewwww those ducts gross me out, and my nose started to twitch looking at them too! lol
Those new heating panels are so cool -- I hate it when the furnace is on because my allergies go absolutely crazy with the 'breeze' from the vents... I can imagine it must be pretty costly though... In my perfect house I guess! :o)

 
At June 18, 2007 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, they're not very expensive.. a LOT cheaper than getting a new furnace and the ducts cleaned! They were about $80 each, and we have one per room. A new furnace (which we needed, as ours was the original) would have cost us a couple thousand $$ I think!

 
At June 19, 2007 4:19 AM , Blogger Chandra said...

Looking good, guys!

 
At June 19, 2007 1:48 PM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Oh wow!
You must let me know how they work when you have been in there a few months and you actually need the heat... :o)

 
At June 19, 2007 4:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa! I've been checking your blog and thought I should mention it!! Congrats with your "expecting" news, by the way! Hope all continues to go well. And the house - wow, what work! I'm sure it'll look beautiful when you're done! Take care!

Deb Alkema

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home