Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lydia's Bad Day

Well, we think Lydia's guardian angel is working overtime lately...
Let me tell you about her day on Friday. You won't believe how much trouble this girl can get into!
In the morning, I took some photos of the girls in my parent's back yard, at the edge of the yard that drops down. Lydia was wearing rubber boots, but Robyn was in bare feet, and when Lydia stepped on Robyn's foot as I was behind the camera, they got into a bit of a scuffle, and the next thing I know Lydia disappears from sight...and fell down into the ravine! Thankfully a rhododendron bush was in her way a few feet down and stopped her from rolling too far...but wow, did we both get a scare! I climbed down to get her and we were both soaking wet due to a recent rain, but thankful that she was within reach and unhurt.

Then, for lunch the girls wanted boiled eggs, so I had a pot of boiling water on the stove. Lydia decided to get a chair and get a peek while I was in the other room, and pulled the pot of boiling water onto the floor, breaking the eggs all over the ground but thankfully missing her body by a smidgen...a huge mess to clean up and a severe "talking to", but again, I was just thankful she wasn't burned. It could have been soooo bad!

Then, when Nick came home from school, we decided to sit outside with a cup of tea while the girls played. I was just telling him about my crazy day and how frazzled I was, saying "I'm going to have a heart attack one of these days!" when Nick suddenly jumped up and I heard SPLASH!!! I turned my head and screamed as I realized Lydia had fallen into the pool and Nick was jumping in to get her. We are so thankful that we were only two feet away. She had fallen into the shallow end and was just going under when he got her. Poor Lydia was so scared....and we were all quite shaken.
All this in one day...can you believe it?! We are so fortunate that she was ok after all these things. She sure learned her lesson though...she won't go near the pool and tells everyone "I fell in the pool and my Daddy saved me- he's a Super Daddy!! He's my HERO!!" and "Don't go near the pool!!!! "Don't fall in!!!"

The health of our girls is never something we take for granted. After beating some odds already, it's hard to fathom that something else could take their lives, but that is the harsh reality. I'm going to be one hawk-eyed Mom for a long time after all this...I don't want to find out what other accidents Lydia can get into! It's just a little crazy when so many dangers come their way in just one day! Like my title says- It's Always Something!!

6 Comments:

At June 10, 2007 6:37 PM , Blogger Christina said...

*hugs*

i like the super daddy thing tho...i think i agree with her!

 
At June 10, 2007 9:43 PM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Isn't it terrifying what kids can get into???
Reminds me of a time when Ryan was just a little gaffer -- found out he could open the front door through a very scary experience! I was in the back room here doing laundry one day when Ryan was about 2... the next thing I know Alyssa was in here saying "Mommy there's a guy at the front door and he is holding Ryan."
I ran like the wind to the front door and the man at the door said "Is this your son?" Apparently he had pulled the chair to the front door, unlocked both the deadbolt and the knob lock ,and had wandered out of the house in nothing but his diaper (he was a little Houdini in clothes) in the middle of the winter! Thankfully this couple had driven past our house, noticed Ryan in the driveway and our open front door, and pulled over to bring him back. I will forever be thankful to those people for stopping -- who knows what could have happened???
Or the time Lauren found a loose board in our fence and wandered out onto the road in front of our house...(I happened to glance over the fence and saw her on the grass so I shrieked and ran through the gate to get her before she ran out onto the road).
BIG reminders of how fragile life can be, and it makes us ever more vigilant... we put up a sliding lock at the TOP of the door, and the fence boards were fixed right away!
Hope there aren't too many more scary incidents like that...
And yes Nick IS super daddy! :o)

 
At June 11, 2007 1:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes!!! Glad to hear all was well in the end! ((HUGS)) :)

 
At June 11, 2007 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, so glad she is ok. The pool incident sounded very scary!

 
At June 11, 2007 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's days like yours that make days like mine feel normal :) Glad that Lydia is okay...that Nick is a Super Hero...and that your heart is still ticking it's regular beat! Some day we will have to get all our girls together and see what they get into!
Take care!
Julia Meerveld

 
At June 12, 2007 11:33 PM , Blogger nicolevw said...

Oh wow. That's scary. So thankful everything is alright. Doesn't sound like a very childproof backyard! Our kids sure can scare us as Chris said too. Ask me sometime about the time when Danielle at age 3 took off on her trike - and was missing for an hour and a half! :-(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home