A wonderful evening out
This baby is going to like concert music, I think! Nick and I have had the priviledge of going to concerts at the Orpheum twice in just a few weeks! The first was "Last Night of the Proms" which is a lot of fun...patriotic British songs, patriotic Canadian songs...lots of flags and banners and confetti.
Then, last week my Mom announced that the Vancouver Bach Choir, which she has been a member of for 30 years, was given 100 free tickets to a VSO concert featuring a pianist called "The Great Yefim Bronfman". My Mom had 60 tickets to give away, so Nick and I took two, and Nick brought a stack to his staff room. Mom gave some to people at church, and everyone passed them along to family and friends....all in all, over 40 Can Reffers got free tickets to the concerts held on Saturday and last night. Not bad considering the tickets would have cost $60 each!
Thanks Mom!!!!
It was a really interesting concert. The pianist was amazing! His fingers flew so fast along the keys they were a blur. He was sweating profusely! There were a few speeches after the songs as well, because the timpanist is retiring after 50 years of playing with the VSO. Can you imagine how hard it would be to play your last concert after 50 years? He told us that, ironically, the very last song he was to play for was also the last song of the very first concert he played way back in '57.
There was also a presentation of the composer who has been commissioned by the Olympic committee to compose some songs. He sat right beside Nick and I, but we didn't know who he was till he was called up...no wonder he seemed restless and nervous the whole time!
The piece played was called "Of Ice and Man" and was written for speed skating. It had the whistle, the starting pistol, and even the sound of skates gliding on ice! I'm not even sure which instruments were used to make that sound...but it sure sounded cool!
It was great to spend the evening with Nick, since it looks like this week he will be at the house after school 'till late at night every day. My tasks of cleaning and painting are done, so it's more helpful to just take care of the girls and keep them out of the construction zone. We have only 2 weeks to get the bathroom done, before Nick's Mom and sister come to stay with us on their way to Australia, and my Mom needs her basement back for relatives coming for a wedding! Yipes!
PS. Just when we thought she'd done it all.....Lydia fell down the stairs yesterday, from top to bottom. Ok, girl, that's it! No more accidents!

4 Comments:
Yikes! I hope Lydia has good accident insurance! :o)
Hopefully she will grow out of it -- Michael is our accident prone kid and he doesn't get into nearly as many scrapes now as he used to...
I hope you didn't watch Lydia fall down the stairs -- I have seen that one too many times and my heart stops every time!
sounds like you had a wonderful time at the concert so nice when you are able to have date nights that do not cost a whole lot.
Katherine
Where was I when those tickets were being handed out? WOW! Sounds like two fabulous concerts! I've always wanted to go the Last Night of the Proms one ...sounds like so much fun! And that pianist would have been just amazing to watch.
Hey - Martin was always VERY accident prone as a kid (he can't even count how many bones he's broken over the years) but when he reached adulthood he outgrew it! :-)
Lydia should outgrow it sooner though - here's hoping!
Hey Lisa, just catching up on reading your posts after our holiday. I love the photo's of the girls - beautiful. Hope Lydia is ok with her mishaps!!! I noticed your half way on your pregancy counter - wow - congratulations. Is it going by quickly? Hope you are feeling well.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home