Thursday, December 20, 2007

*sigh*

Sometimes I think that I should never have called this blog "Always Something". Maybe if I had called it "Nothing New" or "Our Boring Blog", then our life would be a lot simpler today...

Yesterday was not a good day, but I feel like posting anyway. This is my hobby, like some people do scrapbooking or card making and I need the distraction, especially today.

Amryn saw the pediatrician again, and she has only gained 1 and a half ounces since last being weighed. This could be because she has been vomiting so much, but maybe also because she needs more food, so we have increased her tube feeding to 70 ml every 3 hours. The doctor also noticed her cry seems weaker and her muscle tone weaker as well. He prescribed yet another medicine to fill her tiny tummy with...this time it's supposed to help keep things down. It hurts so much to leave the office, like a defeated feeling and sick to my stomach.

Over the past few days, I've been feeling more and more panicky. Robyn is sick, I'm not feeling well, Amryn is not doing well, and the medical "help" we are supposed to be getting is not coming through for us. I asked 3 different nurses to change Amryn's NG tube because her nostril looked sore, and no one will do it for "liability reasons" They will, however, stand there and watch me put it in if I want...and I've never done it before! Go figure. The other suggestion they have is to take her to the hospital, but at the hospital they told us our home-care nurse could do it!
When we first asked for respite care, part of the reason was to get help in the mornings when I have to get Robyn ready for school. Then, this morning there's a knock on the door at 8:20 from a nurse who wanted to come in for a "meet and greet"!! They scheduled this even though I had told them it was too early, and that I didn't think it was necessary to "meet" the nurse on a seperate occasion, since we will most likely be having multiple nurses and I don't want more people coming through here than necessary. Sometimes I feel like our house has a revolving door. Anyway, when the nurse came I was still in my pj's and the house a disaster, so I sent her on her way again... yay me, I'm getting bolder!
We also keep getting conflicting information, like one telling us to put saline on Amryn's sore nostril but forgetting to tell us it needs to be rinsed (can irritate the sore more if not) Another will tell us to use boiled water to flush her tubes, the other will say never to do that, only use sterile water...it's frustrating and I think I'm starting to panic that we are more capable of taking care of Amryn than they are!
We seem to get the run-around whenever we have questions.
Then, the respite care we were promised the other night didn't show up...
Thankfully Amryn was good that night and I was happy to have her beside me all night.

I took Amryn to the mall quickly yesterday to try to buy birthday/christmas presents (nick and Lydia have birthdays next week) and was on the verge of tears the whole time, knowing that I'll probably never be able to do that again, and seeing so many healthy babies everywhere... Then last night I tried to go shopping a bit again (Nick pushed me to go out and said he didn't want me to come home until after 9!) but I almost got in an accident- driving through tears is not safe...

So many questions, and I know the answers in my mind, but my heart hurts too much to let reason in. I've been crying a lot more lately, and I think its because I'm finally realizing that Amryn is not getting better. I have been in denial up till now, thinking that a miracle could still happen. And I know all you readers are thinking that I should still be praying for a miracle, and that with God anything is possible, but.... I also have to come to terms with the reality that Amryn is very ill. It's easy for others to say to stay positive, but when you have to watch your child quickly fade and get weaker no matter what you do to help...

It just feels like I'm drowning sometimes. But I realize that it is just self-pity and I'm being selfish to want Amryn to stay with us. Please pray that I will be able to cope with everything and still be able to be a mother to the girls and a wife to Nick. Steph, who recently lost her son James to a genetic disease as well, wrote to me that she hopes I stay in "survival mode" and not crash, and I hope that is not already happening. Please pray that I can stay in "survival mode" and not think too far ahead. There will be lots of time for grief later.

Sorry for the sad post, but it is part of the process, I suppose. I feel a bit better now after getting it out, so thank you for listening.
I don't want you all to feel sad, and so you know that we still find joy in the day, I'll end this with a funny photo we took the other day.
We don't have tv, so our girls find other ways to be entertained:



Actually, they were really watching Robyn's favourite stuffed dog and Lydia's yellow blankies spin in the washer (: And all the clips in Robyn's hair are courtesy of Lydia the hair stylist.

25 Comments:

At December 21, 2007 10:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa,
My heart goes out to you as I cannot even comprehend what you are going through. Yet, I pray you find comfort that our Heavenly Father is holding you in His hands and will carry you through this. We continue to keep you close in our thoughts and prayers.

Cute pics of the big girls. Garret enjoys watching our washer too.

Rob and Trish

 
At December 21, 2007 10:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

O the hurt. My heart aches and I'm not in your place. Survival ... yes - it is sometimes hard to even do just that! I pray that at the end of 'today' you are able to breathe a sigh of relief that yet, another day you 'survived'! I'm sad to hear about Amryn's condition. You are all still in our prayers and I hope you are physically feeling better today as well.

Cute picture of the girls! Too funny! If you need to get out, please phone me. I'm just around the corner and Steve is home - so it's easy for me to get out.

Audrey L.

 
At December 21, 2007 10:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa, your post was indeed vary sad. That's OK too. You wouldn't be normal if you weren't going through all this grief.
Many years ago, I was a young wife and mother with four small children at home. I remember looking down at my very, very sick husband in a hospital bed. We didn't know if he was going to make it. I was going through a terrifying number of emotions including anger. I walked around for weeks alternating between a daze and anger. Someone saw what was happening to me, and put his arm around me and said, "You don't have to do this alone. Give your burden to the Lord. And be sure you don't take it back again." With prayer, and the prayers of thousands of fellow believers, I managed to do that. I prayed that the Lord would relieve my anxious burden because I truly believed He didn't make mistakes. The sense of relief was liberating. I did struggle with the temptation not to start my anxious fretting again in the weeks and months that followed, but with the Lord's help, I had a much calmer, more accepting life. It was a lesson I never forgot. Because it meant admitting I had no control and trusting that the Lord knows what's best.
I am sure you have given your burdens to the Lord in prayer. He knows how you are feeling, because He too went through grief and pain. Ask him to put you in "survival mode" and give it all to Him. He will sustain you, if you but let him.
We will continue to pray for you. Please let us share your grief, don't stop updating.
All the best,
Thea Heyink

 
At December 21, 2007 10:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick and Lisa,
I know that you don't blog for our sake, but you blog for yours. And I am thankful for that, because now I know what we need to pray for on your behalf. I can't imagine what you are going through, but I do know that no matter what...God is there...In the sand there is only one set of footprints...HIS...He is carrying you in His arms. Trust Him, lean on Him, read His Word, pray to Him. We too will pray that you receive the strength you need for your task as wife and mother not only during the difficult days, that you face today, but also in the future days and weeks, months and years.
Julia Meerveld

 
At December 21, 2007 12:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Our prayers and thoughts for you are continuous.
Leanne Van Bostelen

 
At December 21, 2007 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, Lisa & fammily
We continue to remember you in our prayers. Your pain we do not really know, but cannot imagine either. May you be strenghened by the Holy Spirit also at this time. Watching your child slowly fading MUST be very difficult. Your selfishness of wanting to keep her and for her to get better are only "Normal". We wish you the best and will keep praying for you all. Don't stop blogging as it helps us to go to God on your behalf. All the best,
Ed and Henrietta VanderLaan

 
At December 21, 2007 1:00 PM , Blogger •J•O•A•N• said...

i've just learned of your story. i am also a mother, and my heart is breaking for you. you and your family are in my prayers.

 
At December 21, 2007 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying for you Lisa that you can feel everyone's love for you and that you and Nick and your family feel our Father's arms holding you tightly!
We can only pray and that we are doing every day!
We pray for all that you need...and only God knows that exactly.
Yes your post was a sad one, but I thank God that He enabled you to release some of your pain in writing...after all when one of Christ's family hurts...we all hurt.
How I wish things would be different for you! Our comfort so far is that God is holding you and your family! And what a comfort to know that precious Amyrn is HIS child and the love He has for her,and you all is so amazing!
We are praying that she will be surrounded with the peace only God can give her. We ask Him to please keep holding you even when you feel like your unable to carry on! Please don't ever ever apologise for a sad post. We don't expect you to be posting differently.((HUGS))

Tracey Stam

 
At December 21, 2007 1:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there were a way to ease your pain, hundreds of us would have already done that. It makes me sad to read your blog, and yet I'm encouraged with the quiet, steady evidence of an underlying God-given courage and confidence.

Love the photos of your girls. We have a front loading washer in our bathroom since we renovated, and one of granddaughters who lives downstairs loves to sit on a stool with her Leopard, sucking her thumb and watching the laundry swishing and spinning. Quite cute!
With love and prayers,
Sarah V.

 
At December 21, 2007 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, i agree with everyone above, don't be sorry for a sad post, i am glad that you have an outlet to write your grief and know that we grieve with you, i had tears when i read your post and i wanted to be able to give you a hug. You are continually in our hearts and minds and prayers. You are a survivor and you will survive. May God continue to give you strength and comfort, and I hope you can enjoy and celebrate this holiday season with family and friends.

love Adalia

 
At December 21, 2007 3:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick and Lisa,

We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Cliff and Tara de Leeuw
(Coaldale)

 
At December 21, 2007 4:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, our hearts are with you. And our prayers for your family's comfort and for Amryn's miracle of healing, whether on earth or in heaven, continue to go up to the Lord.
the Noots

 
At December 21, 2007 5:13 PM , Blogger Christina said...

Hello Nick and Lisa
First of all, I want to let you know that we are praying for you and your family. You are such an inspiration throughout all this hardship that you are dealing with.
You probably don't know me, but my husband and I went to school with Kyra and now my daughter Kyleigh(in kindergarten) goes to school with Robin. Small world.
I read your blog, and I am sure that you get alot of this, but I just wanted to pass on a phone number of a friend of mine who is a nurse, but used to work with premies and sick babies in Children's Hospital. I thought that perhaps if you had any medical questions, you could call her up (she okayed this) and she might be able to help you. Just a thought. Her name is Viola Baptista (604-574-2540).
May God bless you!
Christina Stel

 
At December 21, 2007 5:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa we think about you often and you are always in our prayers. Thanks for taking the time to post you thoughts for us and keeping us updated on Amryn. Love the pics of your girls.

Katherine

 
At December 21, 2007 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie..we feel your pain and hurt..thank you for sharing the feelings that are so close to you. We love you guys,
Marc & Jody

 
At December 21, 2007 6:04 PM , Blogger amymom24 said...

Thank you for letting us know what you're feeling - it really helps us all know what to pray for. We will pray for "survival mode", that you can continue to enjoy Amryn and keep the panic at bay. We'll also pray that you'll get some decent and competent help!

 
At December 21, 2007 6:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that was so sad to read, but Lisa, so real. I can't express anything new that has not been mentioned, and I'm thankful that you blog, that you tell us your story - how so much more the Lord can feel your pain and suffering than I or anyone else could!!! We pray that our Saviour will continue to be near to you, that you may feel His presence - that you may continue to survive as wife and mother - and fix your eyes above - for he has promised that he will lift you up and carry you!! What comfort!! And... so cute that the girls watch their stuffed animals in the washing machine - I think my kids would love to do that! Maybe I should get rid of our tv!! :) Much prayers, for your family, and also that you will get the help you need.
Brad and Deb Alkema

 
At December 21, 2007 9:16 PM , Blogger Les said...

Oh Lisa, if only I lived close, I would come change Amryns tube. I even still have the stethescope we always used. You're a strong brave mum and you can do it! It's not hard....if I could be of any help, please call me, I could talk you through it. I had similar struggles with the tubes and people who should be willing to do it throwing up roadblocks. So frustrating!!
I know it's way long distance, but just in case you do want to call, my number is 905-297-9104.
Leslie in Hamilton, ON

 
At December 21, 2007 11:12 PM , Blogger Esther said...

Lisa, again . . .we thank you for sharing your feelings that are so understandable! When I was at your place the other day I was amazed at your courage and at the way you're so proficient in dealing with Amryn. You're an incredible mother and your love for your children is so immense. I have so much admiration for you. You have travelled such an intense life journey and yet your faith life is an inspiration to us all! Amryn is such a beautiful little baby!! Your pain is totally understandable. A mother's love for her child runs so deep. I pray that you'd start getting the consistent medical attention that you need for Amryn!
We continue to pour out our prayers to God for you guys!
Sending love and hugs your way!
Esther, Jason and Mattea!!
(P.S. When we left the other day Mattea was still blowing bye bye kisses to you in the car, so cute!)

 
At December 22, 2007 12:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, thank you for telling us how who feel. Thankyou for updating. I'm so so sorry you all have to go through this. It's heart wrenching that any parents have to watch their child suffer. We pray that the Lord will give you strength to deal with the emotions as they come and that He may give peace in your days.
Helen

 
At December 22, 2007 5:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
I think you have a great hobby! Talking and writing about how you feel is good for you. Our prayer is that you may find a good nurse/friend who can help you with Amryn's care, so you don't have that extra burden. Also may the Lord give you peace, especially this time of the year when every one wants you to be happy, because it is Christmas. Christmas means that the Lord has prepared a place for us all, and some of our loved ones are with Him already. At Christmas we can feel grieving, but not without hope. We wish you much strength for the coming time, enjoy Amryn as much as you can and trust that the Lord WILL uphold you all!
Annelies

 
At December 22, 2007 8:44 AM , Blogger Tania Grim said...

I'm sad for you guys. I can't imagine this being easy at all. My prayers are with you all. We continue to pray for you guys to have strength. Hugs

 
At December 22, 2007 2:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa and Nick,
We pray for you all that you may not loose sight and that you may still see God's love for you and your children. What a beautiful gril she is indeed and your other dayghters too! Indeed, the hurt. i think that everybody who reads about what happens feels guilty. Because we all in Adam fell and it was not God's purpose that death came into life. He watches from above and has His arms around you. I pray you feel that all the time. He loves you all.We pray for you all every day.
Have a blessed Christmas time.
Greetings in the Lord,
fam de Visser in Hamilton.

 
At December 22, 2007 5:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you for your honesty and vulnerability. I'm so glad we love and serve a God who understands tears and grief and even anger -- just read the psalms! I just read the other day, "A teardrop on earth summons the King of Heaven." Even in lament, we can praise God when we bring our lament to him. Thank you for being real. Thank you for allowing us to share your tears, and to bring you to the King of Heaven.
Marianne

 
At December 27, 2007 9:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for God to give you strength and comfort. You're right - driving and crying do not work - but sometimes there's no choice, is there! I will pray that God will give you special protection on tough days like this one. He can do it too.
Alice

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home