Monday, December 17, 2007

Another week

Almost another week has already gone by since our last post... Amryn will be six weeks old already this week. Since last Tuesday Amryn has been getting weaker but is still stable. She still vomits after her meds, which makes us wonder if we should bother with them. Her stomach seems to disagree that she needs them! Thanks to a comment/suggestion left on our last blog, we have tried lying her on her stomach and she seems to like it. She just has no head or neck control, so if she wants to turn her head to see us, she gets quite cranky. Her breathing seems to have changed as well. When she is asleep, she breathes slowly and steadily, but when she wakes up, its like she can't catch her breath and panicks. She gasps for air and seems to struggle (maybe from the tube in the back of her throat?) but once she catches her breath she is ok again. I find this very difficult to watch, however.

She still has lots of times of alertness where she looks at us and even tries to "talk" a bit with coos. It is harder to get her to smile, but they are still there sometimes! I love that. I also love the fact that she adores being held. She is still like a newborn, all warm and snuggly, wrapped tightly in her blanket. She loves to snuggle and hates to be put down. She loves skin to skin contact and will complain if she doesn't feel a warm body next to her! This means spending a lot of time in our arms, but life is standing still for us anyway, so we have the time. It's a blessing that Amryn has caused us to stop and enjoy precious time with her, in the midst of the busiest season of the year! Our priorities have definitely changed.

Robyn has been sick from school twice with an ear infection and cough, and the doctor called me this morning to tell me that I tested positive for Strep throat... I've had a sore throat since our hospital stay with Amryn, and only just a few days ago saw the doctor for it... no wonder I have been feeling so run down! I just hope Amryn doesn't get my strep throat. They say that breastfed babies are more immune, so I keep pumping away... I also learned a very interesting fact the other day- if babies inhale formula into their lungs their body can't handle it and will react to it like its a foreign object. But if breastfed babies inhale a bit of breastmilk into their lungs, their bodies miraculously absorb it! Amazing!!
This past week we had quite a few visitors. My midwife stopped by, some care coordinators, a few ladies from the church, the minister, our deacons, our public health nurse, etc.. We have been blessed with being surrounded with so many people who share our faith. We discovered that our pediatrician is a Christian and has been praying for us. Our midwife is a Christian and has her whole church community keeping us in their prayers. Then, after meeting my public health nurse, I discovered she too is a Christian!
One thing all our visitors have in common is that they find it very hard to put Amryn down once they are holding her! I start to miss her, however, so eventually they have to give her back... My Mom thinks that because we know that Amryn will soon be in Heaven, holding her is like holding a little bit of Heaven in our arms.

On Sunday morning we took Amryn to church. We have joined a program that supplies respite nurses, and requested that one come on Sunday mornings so we can go to church together, but there is a nursing shortage and they were unable to set us up with one yet. Perhaps next week. Taking her didn't go very well- the plan was that she would join us in the sanctuary, since she would most likely sleep the whole time... but she had other plans...I ended up sitting in the consistory room with her and watched the service through the windows. She was wide awake the whole time!

Tomorrow we will start to get a respite nurse for one night a week. Amryn is a night owl, and is either really cranky or lies awake staring at me for hours on end! And with the extra care she requires (and my nervousness about her choking) the result is that I don't get much sleep. Some ladies in the church have been taking Lydia for playdates so that I can nap, and that is helping a lot (thank you!!!) but we thought that if we could get at least one night a week of sleep, we will cope much better during the day. I still will have to wake up every three hours to nurse, but that's just the joy of being Mom to a newborn! (: I'm not sure how I'll like having a stranger sitting in the living room with my precious sweetie, and I'm not even sure I'll be able to sleep without her beside me, but it is worth a try for our own sanity...

We are still taking things day by day. Emotions are still all over the place... but today was a good day (I tend to blog when its a good day...that can be your indication of how I'm feeling at the moment) and we are still asking God for healing.

Amryn is awake in my arms and up till now was just watching the screen, but is getting bored and looking at me for attention with those big blue eyes!! So I better stop typing. Just the other day we noticed that her eyelashes are really long now and curl up at the sides! Very pretty!

I'll end this post with some photos. Last Friday we went to Williams park to drive through their light display. The girls loved it, and Robyn took tons of photos. This second one was taken through the entrance while Nick sped through- a neat effect!



Lydia and her "favourite baby sister" She says this to anyone who listens, and says "I LOVE my baby sister" "she is sooooo cute!" constantly throughout the day.

23 Comments:

At December 17, 2007 10:30 PM , Blogger Chantelle said...

I'm very grateful for your updates, Lisa. It's nice to hear you are enjoying Amryn and allowing her to enjoy life as well. I'm sure you never want to let her go!! Great to hear you've had so much support from your community. Hopefully you can get some well deserved rest and start feeling better physically. May God continue to bless you all. Take care.

 
At December 17, 2007 11:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it just amazing how God puts people in your life and they end up being Christians too hey. A source of comfort that all of this is in God's hands and that even the people around you have been placed here for a reason. We continue to pray for a miracle and also share with you the heartache of going through so many emotions at the same time. May God give you every ounce of strength that you need during the days and nights ahead. Thinking of you constantly....Leona

 
At December 17, 2007 11:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nick & Lisa,

Good to hear an update from you guys again! We're praying for you guys every day, and you're definitely in our thoughts. Keep those spirits up, God has His plans, and they are the best for us.. Hard to say much more than that, I think a lot of what's needed to be said has already been said. You have our love and prayers.

~Andrew V

 
At December 18, 2007 12:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks Lisa for updating us again. I am thankful to hear that you are enjoying many precious moments with Amryn. We continue to pray for you and Amryn.

Katherine

 
At December 18, 2007 5:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what Lydia? I agree with you!!! she is soooo very very cute!!! Just like her big sisters!!
Nick and Lisa we continue to pray for a miracle! And for much strength for you all as you get through each day! We think of you so very often! Lisa, thanks also for posting more pictures! We love seeing them! ((HUGS to you all))
Tracey Stam

 
At December 18, 2007 7:52 AM , Blogger amymom24 said...

Wow, six weeks old already! I'm glad that time is standing still for you and that you are able to take in every moment with Amryn. I hope the respite care thing works for you. I did not have near the same situation, but I found when my twins first came home, it really helped having someone come help through the night once in a while. Even though you have to keep getting up every few hours, its nice to get a couple solid hours sleep in between.

We continue to pray with you for strength, improved health and healing, and that Amryn doesn't get your strep throat!

 
At December 18, 2007 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Lisa for the update, you are all continually in our prayers. And what a blessing to have the love and support of so many. May God continue to give you comfort and support. We are thinking of you.

Adalia

 
At December 18, 2007 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool pictures of the lights ... glad to hear that the girls enjoyed it. Chelsea was wondering where Robyn has been! Hope you are all feeling better soon - medication helps so much with strep throat.
Lydia is right - Amryn is soooo cute! Such beautiful eyes! Awesome that they enjoy her so much and treasure her - very cool!
You are in our prayers - may God grant you extra physical strength during these tiring times. May He grant you comfort for the many moments of hurt and questions. And our prayer for a miracle never goes away.
Audrey L. and Family.

 
At December 18, 2007 10:04 AM , Blogger Dave and Jac said...

Hi Nick and Lisa. I'm just one of those people who know who you are and pray for you because I know it helps.
Your updates are amazing. Wonderful to see you share the love of our Loving Father.
We pray for you that you will always feel His loving arms wrapped around you.
Jacqueline and Dave Spoor

 
At December 18, 2007 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Lisa. It is wonderful that Amryn loves to be cuddled. Enjoy those snuggle moments.
What a blessing that God has surrounded you with helpers that share in the Christian faith. We pray for recover of health of your strep throat. May God bless you with daily strength. We keep you and your family in our prayers.
Paul and Wilma VanderVeen

 
At December 18, 2007 10:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa -
I can see that you just want to hold her all the time, she so's precious! It's wonderful that there are so many beautiful and special memories being made. Thanks for letting us know how you all are doing, I think of you everyday. Praying that you get the respite nurses in to help you get a little rest. And also praying that you will have comfort and peace through all the ups and downs, and especially during Amryn's more difficult moments, knowing that God is holding her in His hands.
Take care,
Gwenda

 
At December 18, 2007 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nick and Lisa
Wow doesn't Lydia ever look proud of her baby sister Amryn. Thinking about you in this time and we wish you much strength and comfort in this time. May the Lord be with you.
Shaun and Karen DeJonge and family

 
At December 18, 2007 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for Amryn's miracle of healing, and for your strength, comfort, and peace during these days. Thanks for letting us know how you're all doing, because we think of you often.
the Noots

 
At December 18, 2007 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating - it's nice to hear how things are - and that you're having a good day! Our prayers are with you all, that you will continue to carry out your day to day lives with the peace and comfort of the gospel!

Brad and Deb Alkema and family

 
At December 18, 2007 3:58 PM , Blogger HH said...

Thanks for updating again, Lisa. It amazes me that you make the time to do this. I'm so glad your getting plenty of snuggle time with Amryn too, that's wonderful. May she continue to give you all much joy with her precious smiles and cuddles. Always in our prayers.
- Helen and Andrew

 
At December 18, 2007 3:59 PM , Blogger Esther said...

Hey Lisa! Thanks for letting Mattea and I visit today and for letting me hold Amryn. She's just truly too precious for words. You could just get lost in those gorgeous big blue eyes. She's definitely a little angel.
We continue to pray each and every day!
Love,
Esther, Jason and Mattea

 
At December 18, 2007 4:18 PM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Hi Nick and Lisa,
You have such beautiful girls!!!
We continue to carry you in our thoughts and prayers every day...

 
At December 18, 2007 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"holding her is like holding a little bit of Heaven in our arms."

That is just so true. I really did feel that when I was there.

Praying and thinking of you all as you go through this emotional rollercoaster. I am so glad that you are not only surrounding by so many loving family and friends who share your faith, but also the midwife (I love Anne B!) and others too. God really does place each person into our lives for specific reasons, doesn't He?

 
At December 18, 2007 6:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think it is amazing how God's masterpiece is so intricately sewn, and how when we see the bottom of the needlework, it looks all messy and doesn't look like anything, but when you flip it over it is a beautiful peice of art. That is what our lives are like: in our eyes...incomprehensible(sp?)...in God's eyes...a piece of art. Even though we don't know the whys and the hows...we do know that God is in control of it all. May you all continue to find peace in the Scriptures!
Love Henry and Julia M

 
At December 18, 2007 7:38 PM , Blogger Doulanic said...

IT is amazing that others that cross your paths are Christians too. May you feel God's presence and nearness every day. I'm also thankful to hear that you are able to enjoy Amryn by cuddling lots! I like the thought "holding her like holding a little bit of Heaven in our arms". I had the same feeling last time I held her. Can't wait to see you tomorrow ....take care!

 
At December 19, 2007 12:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Lisa. Even though we're so far away, it feels like we're just there beside you. Thanks to our Lord that He is never far away and we can definetely see that He is there right beside you. How amazing indeed, that He he is helping you all in so many different ways. May He bless all the support that is given to you and know that you're continously in our prayers.
Love,
Bert, Noémi and Lydia

 
At December 20, 2007 2:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nick & Lisa,

I love reading the blogs! Wonderful to read how God is caring for you all and giving you the strength to cope. And what a captivating big eyes your beautiful little girl has! I can imagine you want to hold her all day...
You're all in my thoughts and prayers.
Renee Mulder [Armadale,W Australia]

 
At December 21, 2007 6:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys. Alice and I wish you all of God's blessings in the Christmas holiday. In a moment of inspiration I changed my log-in password to "Amryn" as a prayer reminder, so you get at least one prayer from me a day, usually more. :) Reading the blog helps to know what to pray for, so thanks! Allan.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home