We're home!
Phew! We made it home late yesterday (Tuesday).
It was a very busy day as we pushed the hospital staff to get us discharged. We visited Canucks Place which is a huge beautiful old Victorian home in Vancouver that has been converted into a respite center for children needing palliative care. If we feel uncomfortable with Amryn dying at home then we can live there as a family and they will provide everything we need including meals and medical care. It's amazing how we're blessed to live in a country that does reach out and care for its people. Apparently this home was donated by someone who wanted to help the community. The staff at Children's Hospital in Vancouver have also been very helpful and it was amazing how relationships were built in only a few days.
We also had to pick up supplies and food pumps, more visits with doctors, NG feeding tube training, visits with family, feeding and caring for Amryn, and finally waiting for Amryn to provide that one last elusive urine sample. (this was VERY important according to the doctors for their DNA research and they were literally waiting all day for it which gave us a few laughs).
So now we're home and are busy getting our life ready to try treat Amryn as normal as possible. We arrived home to find a huge seven course meal sitting on our doorstep (thanks Marg!) and flowers from Robyn's grade one class. The answering machine was full of messages which I finally got through today. We were tired but glad to be home.
Unfortunately the night turned into a bit of a stressful adventure as Amryn ripped out her feeding tube at about 3 AM. Lisa just happened to glance over as she saw Amryn catch her finger under the tube and flick the tube right out of her stomach and through her nose! This never happened before and of course it had to happen to us right on our first night alone. Lisa freaked! We were not trained to reinsert the tube and were told in the unlikely event of this happening to return to the hospital and get it reinserted. I didn't think a trip to emergency sounded like a lot of fun so after calming down we read the manual and decided that we could give it a shot. So Lisa tried to hold Amryn still while I carefully lubricated the tube and gently tried to insert all 10 inches down her tiny nose. After a few false starts, it worked! We carefully extracted some fluid to determine if the tube was indeed in her stomach and when we saw the curdled breastmilk we knew all was well. Now Amryn is restricted to wearing mitts if her hands are ever free. We don't want to have to do that again! :)
Here's Amryn sleeping peacefully in her new hospital bed:
No longer does Lisa have to try squish into Amryn's hospital crib like this:
We look forward to having lots of snuggle time with our little girl. Our spirits were high as we left the hospital since Amryn seems to have stabilized quite well. We have no idea what the next weeks or maybe even months will bring but we are learning to enjoy each day God gives us and thank Him for each blessing we receive. Perhaps the disease will take a different course than with Rachel, no one knows for sure except her Creator.
We will continue to try and let you know how things go and perhaps the next entry can be written by Lisa. Over 2,000 different visitors have seen our blog and we continue to be humbled by the stream of emails that we receive. Please understand that even though you might not receive a reply from us we truly appreciate each and every word of encouragement. Indeed God carries us in a very tangible way. May God continue to use this for His glory, and may we all marvel at what a miracle each and every life truly is.
I'll end with a photo of my two beauties . . .

44 Comments:
Wow, what a beautiful picture! One that you will undoubtedly treasure. We continue to think of and pray for your family, that you may receive all you need. We are also thankful that Amryn's hospital stay was short and that the care she received there was so good. And I must add, kudos to you guys for your bravery in re-inserting the feeding tube!! Yikes, I got nervous just reading about it!
the Noots
Again, thank you for the post! We're thankful to hear you made it home ok! So great that you were able to get the feeding tube back in on your own! I pray that this time with Amryn and your other girls would be a very special time with many small miracles and moments of peace and blessing! I just absolutely adore that bottom picture - so peaceful and amazing! You're an amazing mommy Lisa! Again, we continue to pray for all of you and send our love your way!
Esther, Jason and Mattea
Thanks for keeping us updated...
The first photo of Lisa and Amryn made me weep, but the second took my breath away -- how exquisite!!!
PS We rejoice with you that you could come home once again, and way to go putting that tube in by yourselves! I gag just thinking about it! :o) Praying you have many wonderful memories in the making...
we are so thankful that you could come home from the hospital, what a scary experience with the feeding tube. the last picture is so precious, I am so happy for you that you have these special memories to make with Amryn. We continue to pray for you.
Jeremy and Katherine
It is still so overwhelming to read your updates! We are praying for strength - it seems like even through a trial such as this, you can still have those "moments" - like trying to re-insert a feeding tube to a tiny baby in the middle of the night. I would have freaked too, that's for sure - but you perservered! Thanks be to God! We continue to hold you in our prayers.
Brad and Deb Alkema
So glad to see you back at home. Praise God that He has allowed this to happen so quickly. Those pictures are precious, just love the bottom one. They sure are beauties! We've had a few experiences with those feeding tubes too, it's no fun when those tiny fingers get in underneath. Good for you for getting it back in. We continue to hold you in our prayers.
What a beautiful picture-you can just feel the love Lisa has for little Amryn!! Amryn is so blessed to have such loving parents,we pray for much strenght and peace in the time ahead!
Much love
Karen Mans
It is great to hear that Amryn could return home from the hospital, may your time with be blessed, we continue to pray for all of you, and i agree the picture of Lisa and Amryn is precious, and what a treasure. God bless all of you.
Adalia and Ian
I'm glad that you are able to be home as a family again. You all will continue to be in our prayers in the days and weeks to come.
I love the picture that you posted, it is beautiful!
In Christ,
Becky Hart(Van Huisstede0
Beautiful pictures! I admire you for putting that feeding tube back in -- not sure if I would be able to do that and I am a nurse! :)
Lois Vanderwal
Those pictures are so very precious! The last one totally displays and makes us feel ALL THAT LOVE!!!
We continue to pray!!!!
Richard and Tracey Stam
We too are so thankful that you are all at home again. I am sure it is much more comfy to snuggle up to Amryn in your own bed :) We pray that you will continue to find strength, peace and comfort from our Heavenly Father, that you feel His presence near you always.
"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." Deut. 33:27
In Christ,
Henry and Julia Meerveld
We are keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers. She is such a beautiful baby. We pray for you guys to have strength as you go through these next few weeks, months.
Aaron and Tania Grim
( cloverdale )
Wow Nick you still haven't lost that photographic touch!
We're praying for you guys always, and I know Michelle wishes with all her heart she could be there with Lisa. The Lord IS great - His will be done.
lots of love & prayer,
Andrew & Michelle.
I'm so glad that you are able to be at home with your little baby --and that you didn't have to go back to the hospital to get the feeding tube reinserted. God is good!
Hannah Timmerman
Thanks again for an update. And definitely kudos to you for re-inserting that feeding tube! Wow!
And like all the others have said - that last photo is exquisite. Beautifully done! Praying you will enjoy your time at home together as a family.
Thanks for posting the update. We are glad you are home from the hospital and are thankful with you for these small milestones and victories. Our twins had NG tubes for the first 7 weeks of life and we know how quickly a little flick of the hand will take those tubes out! Thankfully, we never had to reinsert it ourselves as there were always nurses nearby. Well done!
We continue to think of you and pray for you often.
So glad to hear that you are finally home and in a more peaceful and quiet setting. Thank you for continuing to update us on how you are all doing...we constantly think of you and are praying for you daily. Those two pictures are amazing...you really captured something so very special and intimate...An amazing love that a mother has for her daughter.
Please know that if there is anything we can do for you in ANY way...let us know! there is such a strong sense of wanting to share your burdens with you...
upholding your precious and beautiful Amryn to the Lord in prayer that you can relish in her and enjoy her love for as long as God allows.
Love, Leona and Dave
Thank you for another wonderful update. It's so nice to be able to read of how you are all going, even though I'm sure it's hard for you. It is appreciated. The photo's are precious and bring tears to my eyes. Glad you have settled in at home again. Enjoy the time you have with Amryn. We will continue to pray for peace and strength. God's will is good.
Our prayers and thoughts are with you. The picture of Lisa and Amryn brought me to tears as you see the profound love from a mother for her child. May the Lord surround you with His love and care .
With Christian love
It's good to read your updates. We're thankful that you find your rest and peace in our only Saviour even though you live in a storm of emotions. We also had to deal with NG tubes for 9 months with Ruth when she was around 8 years old. We also learned to reinsert it but it was always with great difficulty. She hated it and fought it every time. Later she had a G-tube inserted. We pray that the Lord will surround you with his great love and care and that you will find shelter under his wings. We pray also that the Lord will lead you to make the right medical decisions regarding Amryn's care and that you will be at peace with your decisions. Enjoy her and love her as a precious gift from God. In an earlier e-mail you wrote that when she was born it seemed as if she had been in your family forever already. I had the same with all 7 of our children! Each one was exactly right for our family and fitted in wonderfully. Our LORD really does take care of us.
With love Bill and Joanna Vanderpol
O wow! What a picture that brings tears of joy to my eyes. Beautiful indeed! I am glad that you are able to hold and cherish Amryn. May God continue to give you many more moments to treasure. Thank you for the update ... you are continually in our prayers.
Audrey Leyenhorst and family
Undeniably - this picture of Lisa and Amryn displays pure love for her. Can you imagine that God loves you all even more than this? May God give you many more memories like this precious one. This is our prayer and we also ask for strength for you and the girls.
All our best,
Brian and Lisa Vanderhout
Wow, I love this last picture...we are so glad that you're home! May the Lord continue to be with you.
Jodi, Eric and Kylie
Nick and Lisa...
Thanks for the update. It is so good to read that you know and feel His presence with you now. We continue to pray...
Love,
Nathan & Kim
We are thankful that you are able to come home with Amryn. May God continue to carry you and bless you with daily strength. What beautiful pictures of your precious little daughter.
We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Paul and Wilma VanderVeen
You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. May you cherish every day that God has blessed you with Amryn. Thank you for posting the beautiful pictures.
Andrew and Marie Kieft
Our thoughts and prayers are with you !
The LORD is near to all who call
on HIM. Ps.145:18a
Adrian & Rita Krabbendam
Thank you for allowing us all to see a small piece of your journey.God's Name is being praised in the river of prayers that are going up to His throne.
Blessings,
Bert & Anne VanStraten
Glad you're home. Thank you for sharing both the joy and the pain. We can be thankful that we worship an all-powerful, loving God. Your willingness to share helps us all to appreciate what it means to be the body of Christ. Sarah VDG.
"Fear not, I am with you, O be not dismayed
For I am your God and will still give you aid.
I'll strengthen you, help you and cause you to stand
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
When through fiery trials your pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be your supply.
The flames will not harm you, I only design
Your dross to consume and your gold to refine.
The soul that on Jesus has leaned for repose
I will not, I will not desert to its foes.
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake
I will never, no, never, no, never forsake."
Ange VdB
It's so wonderful to read that you were able to come home with your beautiful litle girl. What a precious picture! Praying for continued strength.
Matt and Sarah Bartels
Hey guys, I heard the good news about Amryn, and then the bad news.
Congratulations, she is beautiful.
If I have learned anything about you van der Vens over the years, it is that your trust in God is prevalent, and your faith in Him is as solid as a rock.
I don't mean to just rattle off the ol' "God is in control of everything", speech, but, I truly believe nothing happens at random. I don't think I need to remind you to trust Him, even when things seem unfair.
Amryn is a lovely name - what does it mean?
David and Mel
Thanks again for the update Nick. Glad to hear that you are home and kudos to you guys for reinserting the tube! Amryn is so clearly loved!!
We continue to keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.
Rob and Trish Smink
Wonderful to hear you're home. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures (the last one is breath taking). Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family.
Pete and I are praying for the Lord to give you much strength in this time. We are amazed at your blogging and the strength He has already given you. Thankyou for sharing your most personal time with Amryn.
I'm overwhelmed to tears at your complete reliance on God's plan. And you know, it's funny how parents in pain can often comfort and strengthen those around them. I feel comforted at your strength.
We are thinking of you guys daily, and praying that you enjoy your precious little girl...she is adorable!
Praying for your family,
Marc&Jody
I found your blog through Kevin & Amy's blog - and wanted to leave a note of encouragement ...
I have a 5 week old son, and my heart broke as I imagined having to say goodbye to him at such a young age. I pray that you'll truly experience the peace that passes understanding in the next little while. Your daughter is beautiful and your love for her and for our God evident. I'll be praying for you all - thank you for being willing to share.
- a sister in Ontario
Those pictures put me in tears especially the last picture. What a beautiful picture. May the Lord strengthen and comfort you all. {{{{Hugs}}}}} I just can't even imagine what you are going through. The Lord bless you during this time.
Rose Bredenhof
Lisa and Nick, we are holding you and your family in our prayers during this heartbreaking time. Amryn is a beautiful baby girl and we congratulate you on her birth, even given the news that her time on earth may be short. I will continue to check your blog for updates and I agree with everyone else that the last photo is just precious - one to treasure always.
Lots of love,
Katrina & Colin Bosch and family.
Nick and Lisa,
You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Cliff and Tara de Leeuw
(our sister-in-law Deb Huttema passed on this sight to us)
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion fo the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on teh palms of my hands" (Isa. 49:15). I see from the picture of Lisa and Amryn the fierce love of a mother for her child -- and God's love is stronger still! May you be comforted knowing that your names are carved into his hands and he will never forget you.
Finally I think I can put my words down...
What awful deja-vu looking at the second picture! The bottom one is a precious shot, but that middle one just brought back so many memories... How we hate being across the country from you guys right now! Not able to do anything; can't babysit the girls or take night-shift at the hospital or anything tangible like that. I know our prayers are what matter the most, but we feel so useless not being able to do anything more for you and all your girls right now. Yet how amazing our God is, that He led you to move out west, much as we hated to see you go...otherwise, neither of you would have had any family nearby to support you at this time. But now Lisa can be surrounded by her family, which I'm sure is a great comfort to Nick as well.
Nick, it is so wonderful to read of your incredible trust in our awesome God, even when we don't understand His ways. Keep holding onto that, and be the support that Lisa needs as well. Lisa, often I sit holding Stephanie and am just so overwhelmed by the things you must be feeling; my whole heart just goes out to you more than words can say.
We LOVE you all, and you are constantly in our thoughts and in our prayers. Our God still does work miracles!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home