Friday, November 09, 2007

Amryn Nicole


"The LORD has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy." Ps. 126:3


Thrilled!!

Thankful!!

in awe . . .

in love . . .

and amazed . . .
after witnessing God's miracle of birth.

I received God's gift into my arms at 5 am on Thursday morning. After weeks of contractions I finally felt some "real" ones on Wednesday morning. By 9 pm I called my midwife who came to do an assessment and gave us the disappointing news that I still hadn't dilated....very hard for me to believe!
At midnight I was convinced things were progressing, as the contractions were much more intense and closer together, but by this point I was unsure about calling anyone, since I had been wrong before...
I finally called my Mom and at her suggestion tried some relaxation techniques and tried to sleep, but the contractions were not slowing down-- they were getting worse! At 2 am I called my midwife again, and asked my parents to come over. Ann said to meet her at the hospital for another assessment (she still didn't believe me) so we waited for my parents to arrive. It seemed to take forever for them to come, since the contractions were now coming 2 and 3 minutes apart and were really painful. We rushed to the hospital at 3:30 am, and when Ann examined me, found I was already 5 cm dilated!! After that, things went really fast. I was determined and so was our baby (: After only being in the hospital for a little over an hour, our little daughter was delivered into this world... bright eyed, vigorous, and finally here!! She weighed 6 pounds, 14 ounces (our smallest baby) and was 52 cm long, with long feet, long fingers and skinny, long legs. Just wait till she gets some of my milk...then she'll be as chubby as the others in no time! (:

We gave her the name Amryn Nicole. Nick made up her first name-- in an inspired moment about 2 months ago, the name came to him and we both liked it....but we couldn't find it in any baby book, so we had no idea of the meaning! We liked it anyway, and decided we could make up our own meaning (still need to agree on that part) Nicole, of course, is after Nick (Nichol-John). Lydia and Robyn liked the name right away, too. If we ever suggested any other, Lydia would emphatically insist, "Nooo...it's Baby Amryn!!" We tried to keep the name a secret, but two days before her birth, my sister Rachel asked Lydia when she thought the baby was coming and she said "Baby Amryn is coming soon" Oops-- that's what you get when you tell a secret to a 3 year old... at least she kept it that long!

Amryn and I left the hospital only 11 hours after her birth, crazy, I know...but my bed is much more comfortable than the hospital's! Robyn and Lydia were not home, and Nick had the day off, so it was nice to get settled and comfortable in our own surroundings and have some quiet time to bond. I can't take my eyes off this little bundle. She is so small and precious and so alert! She watches my face so intently and I swear she smiles whenever I talk to her. I think she looks a lot like Nick and more like Robyn as a baby than Lydia or Rachel. She has stolen our hearts and we love her to bits!! So far Amryn seems to be healthy and strong. We will have to continue to look for signs and symptoms of mito disease, but we continue to pray that we will not need to worry and that everything will be fine. It will be a difficult time for the next few weeks...trying not to worry and just enjoying every moment we have with her. Only God knows what the future holds, and we continue to put it in His hands.

Below is a link to more photos. She is changing by the minute, so I thought I better post the newborn ones before she changes too much! You can already see the difference a day makes between the first and last shots. Enjoy them, as we are enjoying her.

Click here to see more photos of baby Amryn.

21 Comments:

At November 09, 2007 11:27 PM , Blogger Doulanic said...

Finally a post! (I've checked back so often since I heard!) LOVE the photos - especially the last one here of the girls together. Thanks for posting your story - we're so excited Amryn has finally arrived! It was fun to share the news with our homegroup tonight ... we prayed for you guys. Take care and can't wait to see her and you!

 
At November 09, 2007 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! She is a beautiful baby!!! May she bring your family so much joy!! Will pray that all remains well with her!! Hope you get all the rest you need too Lisa!!

 
At November 10, 2007 12:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

she is beautiful Lisa, congratulations again. We pray that God will hear your prayers and that she will be a healthy happy daughter to you both.

Katherine

 
At November 10, 2007 3:53 AM , Blogger Chantelle said...

Congratulations Nick and Lisa. Glad to hear all went well. You look really good and have done an amazing post so soon after giving birth. The photo's are really cute - you have a beautiful baby. Hope it all continues to go well - God bless you all. Take care xx
PS: Love the name, unusual but nice.

 
At November 10, 2007 4:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations again Nick and Lisa! (and Robyn and Lydia!). She is beautiful!! She looks like a child of yours! I do remember what Robyn looked like when she was born, and Amryn reminds me a lot of her! All the best - I can see why you don't want to get all worried and just enjoy this blessed moment - may the Lord give you much strength and peace to do just that.
Brad and Deb Alkema and family

 
At November 10, 2007 4:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Nic and Lisa; What lovely photo's especially the first one. Nic take good care of Lisa so she can take care of little Amryn. We welcome her into the family and wish you God's blessings and strength as you raise her in the fear of His name.
ps. We'd love to give her a cuddle next year.. hint hint..
Willem and Linda and Family

 
At November 10, 2007 4:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS NICK, LISA, ROBYN AND LYDIA with the birth of AMRYN. What a blessing to receive such a gorgeous baby from the Lord. May our Lord continue to bless you richly! We really hope we can see all of you some time soon....
Love you lots and lots,
Dave and Marg, Cody, Wade, Jessica, Meagan, Brooke, Brett and Travis

 
At November 10, 2007 4:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations again! She is beautiful! May everything continue to go well with both mother and daughter.
Rob and Trish Smink

 
At November 10, 2007 4:44 AM , Blogger Chandra said...

Congratulations again, you guys. But I have a to voice a very strong disagreement with you, Lisa...she is a carbon copy of Lydia!!! On every single picture I just couldn't believe how much she looks like her! She's a beautiful litel girl, and like you said, I'm sure she'll be good and chubby in no time at all. :o)

Out of curiousity, I Googled "Amryn", and did find a few people with that name, but no known origin or meaning, so have fun making one up!

 
At November 10, 2007 4:45 AM , Blogger Chandra said...

Oops, I really do know how to spell "little"! :o)

 
At November 10, 2007 6:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nick, Lisa, Robyn, Lydia and extended family!
Beautiful baby! Beautiful gift from God.
Wishing you all blessings in abundance as you receive this child from God's Hand, trusting in Him for all things.
with warmest wishes,
Bert & Anne Van Straten, Burlington, ON.

 
At November 10, 2007 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nick and Lisa! Your post is beautiful Lisa, the pictures are amazing! Amryn is a beautiful little girl :)
We will continue to pray with you that Amryn will stay healthy and strong. May the Lord bless you all. HUGS! Leona

 
At November 10, 2007 8:59 AM , Blogger amymom24 said...

Wow, congratulations VV family!!! She is beautiful. We'll keep you in our prayers in the coming weeks as you sort out health issues. We know how stressful that can be:) We'll especially pray that she is strong and healthy. BTW, take out the "r" and "r" and you have my name - Amy Nicole. Good choice:) I like Amryn though, very unique and pretty.

 
At November 10, 2007 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, what beautiful pictures, i checked every day and was happy to finally see them. God's blessing in the coming weeks, you will be in our prayers. Enjoy your new addition.
adalia

 
At November 10, 2007 11:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

O I am so excited for you guys! She is just beautiful! May God continue to give you comfort and be with you! Our prayers are also with you that all may continue to go well! She has finally arrived! Ya hoo!

If you need anything, let me know!
-Audrey L.

 
At November 10, 2007 2:54 PM , Blogger Michelle Vanderven said...

Nick and Lisa... Congratulations on little Amryn, What a gorgeous little girl! We pray every day that this child too stays healthy!

Love Andrew and Michelle!

 
At November 10, 2007 6:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations Nick and Lisa. She is a beautiful gift from God!!!

Doug and Hilda Heikamp

 
At November 11, 2007 3:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nick, Lisa, Robyn and Lydia,
Many many congratulations on the safe arrival of Amryn. God has worked another miracle in your lives and little Amryn is safe in His care. We thank God with ou. Thank you for the phone call - I had only just left and was sorry to have missed a real talk with you. Will catch up soon. Love all your photos - your girls are all so beautiful and I can imagine the happy bubbly mothering that Amryn will get.
God bless you all.
Mick, Helen, Hailey and Nathan

 
At November 11, 2007 8:05 AM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Yippee!!! Congratulations Nick and Lisa! And Robyn and Lydia of course... :o) We just heard the news last night as we were away, and we are so thrilled for you! Amryn is a beautiful name for a beautiful girl... we pray she will bring you many many years of happiness! Take care all of you...

 
At November 11, 2007 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your beautiful gift. What a doll! Enjoy every minute, even the sleepless ones. Pearl H.

 
At November 11, 2007 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your beautiful gift. What a doll! Enjoy every minute, even the sleepless ones. Pearl H.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home