Thursday, November 01, 2007

A false alarm and a nasty fall ):

O.k, I am getting really tired of these braxton hicks contractions!! Yesterday I spent most of the morning having strong contractions that were 10 minutes apart. By the afternoon they were 8, then 5, then 4 and by the evening 3 minutes apart! I really thought it was the real thing... even Nick was convinced when he witnessed the contortions of my belly and the rock-hardness of it! There were a few times when I would get up and walk around, but have to stop because they were so strong. They stayed regular, whether I was standing, sitting or lying down... definitely signs of true contractions! I went to my sister's as a distraction while Nick and John took the kids out for treats, and on the way home, the contractions were still going strong. At midnight they were worse, so I called my Mom and Dad to drive over (they live 40 minutes away, so I get a bit nervous about them getting here on time). The plan is for my Mom to accompany us to the hospital as my Doula, and my Dad will watch the girls...
When my parents got here, my Mom, in her great hurry to come to my aid, tripped and
fell on the sidewalk in front of our house! She came to the door with blood dripping from her face and quite in shock- it was shocking to see as well! Apparently she had fallen face first, without stopping herself at all, since she had her hands full. In retrospect this was good, as she could have broken her wrist again (a few years ago she fell off a chair while cleaning and broke her wrist) Thankfully her nose was not broken, and no stitches needed.... we joke that botox is not needed either, as her lower lip has swollen quite a bit!
After some first aid and a bag of ice, we set up a bed for my parents, as my contractions had since slowed down (of course). We decided to all get some sleep in case something happened during the night... but while I slept the contractions stopped! I woke up feeling very well rested (but very guilty for having called my parents!) I suppose their trip out was not in vain...I finally relaxed enough to sleep really well... but I was disappointed that the contractions had stopped again.
They have been doing something, though! This morning I went to the midwife for my scheduled visit, and she said that my cervix is thinned out...just have to start dilating now! So hopefully things will get going again in the next day or two. Apparently all these false stops/starts are common in women who are having their 3rd or 4th baby. Just have to be patient! It's just frustrating to have so many contractions but not be in "active labour" yet. Only God knows when we will be ready! And we trust that He knows best.

Here is a shot of my poor mother... awful, isn't it?! I feel so bad! She was even supposed to set up and man a booth for doulas tomorrow at a convention but now she feels she can't ): Nick joked that she can talk about the "dangers of being a doula" and pretend I got rowdy while in labour.

I'd also like to thank you for all your prayers. We really appreciate them and need them! The uncertainty of our baby's health does not make the waiting easier... but we know we are not in control, and that whatever happens is for our good.

9 Comments:

At November 01, 2007 4:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear and see that your mom is ok, and we will continue to pray for you and your family for a quick labour and healthy baby.

Adalia

 
At November 01, 2007 7:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

O the excitement! Wow eh?! Your mom seems like a good sport about it all! Yikes for you and Nick! Wow ... I have never experienced false labor - so honestly, I don't have a clue about what you are going through. Though it does sound exciting! Yes, you are still in our prayers, along with your little one. God bless you all and hey - have fun!
Audrey L.

 
At November 01, 2007 9:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you and your baby are continually in our prayers. I must say though you have gotten quite big since the last time I saw you. False contractions are not fun at all, but at least you know they are getting you ready to have this baby soon.

Katherine

 
At November 01, 2007 10:47 PM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Mamma mia! Good to see she is okay... your baby is just waiting for my birthday to make 'her' grand entrance! hee hee
You look great and you are constantly in our prayers and thoughts.

 
At November 02, 2007 8:23 AM , Blogger amymom24 said...

Sorry about your face, Lisa's mom! That does not sound (or look) like a good time. Lisa, we'll pray that next time will NOT be a false alarm!

 
At November 02, 2007 8:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see that your mom's fall didn't result into anything worse! Sounds like you and Gina are experincing false labour so far this week...who knows you both may end up in the hospital together yet! false labour does play on ones emotions doesn't it? When the real labour begins, I wish you much strength and wisdom that you need during the time of giving birth. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers as we hope for a healthy baby. All the best Lisa!
Leona

 
At November 02, 2007 9:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best in these last few days, Lisa! I had a lot of false labour too, with Cole and Naomi - it can be very frustrating, because you're not sure it you should be packing your bags, sleeping, watching the clock or making arrangements for the other kids! It'll be over soon, though, you can't be pregnant forever! Looking good, though, and praying for a healthy baby.

Deb Alkema

 
At November 02, 2007 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keeping you and baby in our prayers! Glad to that your mother did not get hurt worse! All the best in the coming days!
Tracey Stam

 
At November 03, 2007 10:37 PM , Blogger Doulanic said...

Wow - glad your mom is okay! I know what that's like ...did that once myself! youch.
As for all those ctx's that are stopping and starting again ... they are NOT false labour contractions. That has such negative connotations and makes us feel like our bodies don't know what to do. You're just (rather unfortunately) experiencing alot of pre-labour. I'm sure your mom's a big help to you ...but make sure you are not dehydrated. Sometimes being even remotely dehydrated can cause a uterus to act up quite a bit. Prelabour ctx's - while they can be strong, usually are on the shorter side and are felt all over. True dilating labour is usually felt in the lower abdomen, lower back and maybe the thighs. Sorry ....I'm still in teaching mode from my class today! Okay - I'll stop. Hopefully (or not??) I'll see you in church tomorrow! Rest well!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home