Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's been quite a while since our last post... I find it intimidating to write on here since so many people have been posting a link to our blog on their own sites... we have no idea who is reading this!

This evening a gentleman from our congregation asked if he could visit and give us a book called "One minute after you die". After reading a few pages together and praying, we found ourselves comforting him, as he broke down in sobs. He was holding Amryn and was overwhelmed with sadness. It is strange to feel so much pain ourselves, yet still have the ability to comfort others. I suppose that is another little miracle.

Last week we had a good pediatrician visit. The pediatrician was pleased with what he saw... her weight gain, her increased strength and her alertness. But since then she has been sleeping more, and when she is not sleeping she is often uncomfortable with gagging and vomiting. I have to keep an eye on her constantly, as she can easily aspirate (get what she vomits into her lungs) at any time... sometimes even when I think she is deeply sleeping she will start to choke. This seems to have started happening on a more regular basis just in the last two days. She is getting weaker and doesn't nurse for very long anymore, but through it all still manages to smile for us during her alert times. We are so thankful for this.

Today we had a visit from the respite care nurse and the public health nurse and discussed end-of-life care for Amryn. Over the past few days we have been riding that relentless emotional roller coaster of feeling hopeful and still praying for a miracle, and then being hit with reality and the harshness of what we may have to brace ourselves for. I experienced this particularly at the pharmacy the other day, when I picked up a prescription for anti-reflux medication and had to produce a form from the Nursing support services to cover the costs of the drug. On the top it read "palliative care medical benefit program" and reality hit me hard again.

But, after having a difficult Sunday with lots of tears, my brother in law reminded me to stop dwelling on death and focus on life... after all, Amryn is still here!! I was grateful for his bluntness. I need it sometimes! I keep struggling to not think about the future, but focus on the joys of life with Amryn.
And so, I will post a few photos of why we are thankful and blessed to be able to spend time at home with Amryn. Once we knew the doctors could do nothing more for her, we were determined to leave the hospital, and we are so glad that we did. At home, Amryn is able to experience a lot more and can enjoy many things she would not have enjoyed from her hospital bed. Such as:


Going for a brisk walk with her cousin Emma!


Floating in a soaker tub.



Warming up in the sun after a bath... notice the fluffy hair! Lydia thought Amryn looked and felt like a duckling, and she was quite right!!


Napping with her sister. (Lydia says over and over throughout the day, "I love my baby sister! She is my first baby sister!!" and always greets Amryn first thing in the morning with a ton of kisses.)



The feeling of snow on her face and eyelashes (ok, she didn't really enjoy this one...)


Enjoying her swing!


Being the star of a photo shoot!


Visiting Omi and Grandpa and getting treated like a princess with a special little bed.


Snuggling by a real crackling wood fire.

My sister Kyra also came up with a wonderful gift for Amryn... in a box she placed little bags of "scents of the seasons" with things that Amryn can smell, touch, taste, etc to let her experience things that she may otherwise never have a chance to experience. In one bag is sand, a seashell and the scent of suntan lotion. In another, some blades of grass and damp soil. In another, some cloves and the scent of apple pies baking... She also made a cd of "sounds of the seasons" such as a person walking through crunchy snow, a bubbling brook, a crow cawing, a thunderstorm, rain falling, etc.
I love this gift... and Amryn does too.

21 Comments:

At December 12, 2007 12:43 AM , Blogger Chantelle said...

Hi Lisa,
Yes, it must be a little intimidating to know so many people are reading your story; but you a wonderful witness of your love and faith in Jesus Christ. Many people can learn from this!
Thank you for the update. The photo's are beautiful and touching. It's nice to read of all the special things you are letting little Amryn experience. Please continue to enjoy Amryn everyday. Praying and thinking of you all the time. May God give you peace everyday. Take care.

 
At December 12, 2007 2:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Lisa and Nick, I'm one of the people who put a link to your blog on my blog, only because in order to keep up with your posts I would have to go from Chandra's blog to your blog each time. It's just easier this way.
We have been living with you through this difficult experience and want you to know that our prayers and thoughts are with you frequently. May the Lord continue to bless Amryn and you all with His nearness. May He comfort you with the knowledge that He has a plan for us all, and all is according to His sovereign plan. He provides what is needed. All the best to you all.
Regards, Thea Heyink

 
At December 12, 2007 4:21 AM , Blogger HH said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for updating. The pictures are as cute as ever and I'm sure your enjoying all these precious moments. Thanks for sharing them with us. I love the present of your sister as well, how very thoughtful of her. May Amryn enjoy these small little tastes, touches and smells that we so take for granted everyday. We will continue to pray for her and your family.
Helen

 
At December 12, 2007 6:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing more wonderful pics of that little sweetie! And oh how I love the one of Lydia and Amryn napping, such a beautiful "Big" sister! I pray for Robyn and Lydia too! They must be so confused sometimes. I am grateful that your brother in law has the ability to just let you know how it is, as hard as that was probably to hear,he is right in that our Lord still has Amryn in your care. I am going to still pray for a miracle! With God all is possible.
We think of you so very often! We go forward with you in faith that our Lord is GOOD and His plan is perfect, but we also ask for extra measures of comfort when reality seeps in your hearts. What a neat gift your sister gave! Please kiss Amyrn for me!
((HUGS to you all!))
Rich and Tracey Stam

 
At December 12, 2007 6:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nick and Lisa,
You have no idea how greatly God is using you to minister to so many. He never EVER wastes a hurt, but uses it to his glory. Someone once told me that the wonder of Christ is not that he always supernaturally delivers us from hurt, but that he always supernaturally uses hurt for his glory. Live one day at a time, and enjoy every moment you have with your sweet Amryn, and know that if and when the time comes, our Lord will be there to hear your hurt and catch your tears. I continue in prayer for you all.

 
At December 12, 2007 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nick and Lisa thanks for the update, the pictures are wonderful, it's wonderful that Amryn can experience life's wonders. Enjoy this time with her, we continue to pray for Amryn and you. May God continue to give you all strength, and know that you are not alone. Keeping you all in my heart and mind. Take Care

Adalia

 
At December 12, 2007 10:38 AM , Blogger Les said...

One Minute afer you Die...that's Irwin Lutzer, isn't it? I went to Moody and sat under his teaching at Moody Memorial Church for my 5 years there. Did you know he's Canadian? (heehee)

I just wondered if you ever lay Amryn to sleep on her tummy to ease the concern of vomiting and aspiration. I know the reccomendation these days is 'back to sleep', but in medical cases, sometimes it's safer and they laid my son on his tummy from day one in the hospital. We continued this at home with him and he was also feeding through ng tube at Amryns age. Because he slept in a co-sleeper, I was always there (and waking him every three hours for his tube feed)so I wasn't as concerned about SIDS. Just a thought.
Still praying in Hamilton,
Leslie

 
At December 12, 2007 10:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nick and Lisa,
Thank-you for your continued updates...we are always thinking of you. I love the photos you've posted....the little "duckling" shot is my favourite...what a beautiful girl!!
God bless!
Jodi, Eric and Kylie

 
At December 12, 2007 10:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day at a time, that's for sure.... and really, that's how we should all be living.... I love the pictures, especially the one of Amryn in the snow! How wonderfully mean!!! We continue to hold you in our prayers.

Brad and Deb Alkema and family

 
At December 12, 2007 11:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amryn is so cute, enjoy all these precious moments with her and your family. That is such a great gift your sister gave, something that you can also treasure. we continue to pray for you and thank you for taking the time to update us, we really appreciate it.

Jeremy and Katherine

 
At December 12, 2007 11:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Lisa. I start to worry when so much time passes between posts (especially since I check numerous times a day, lol!) The pictures are awesome, and Amryn is so very blessed to spend her time on earth with such a loving family. We continue to pray for her miracle, and for you all as you take care of her and love her.
the Noots

 
At December 12, 2007 12:08 PM , Blogger Esther said...

Thank you for the post again Lisa! I loved all the beautiful pictures. She's so precious! It must be so hard for your emotions not to be so all over the place. We continue to pray for you all. I look forward to seeing you!
Much love,
Esther, Jason, Mattea

 
At December 12, 2007 1:40 PM , Blogger Doulanic said...

Nick and Lisa - know that no matter what happens - your church family will be with you. We have that book too "one minute after you die". It's a comforting book, and so wonderful to read, but at the same time, when you're faced with death, it's too real isn't it? Thanks againfor a post, and for the beautiful photos that you share with us. May God ever be near to you and to your girls, and give you that peace that passes all understanding.
With love - Nicole

 
At December 12, 2007 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nick and Lisa,
Wow...that cuddle by the crackling fireplace...that is the best ever! Enjoy those moments. And yes, even though you are going through one of the toughest times of your lives, we receive so much comfort from your faith in God. He is definitely your Source of strength! We can never understand your days, and my feet will never fit in your shoes...but I am thankful that God placed both you and Nick, and your beautiful daughters, all four of them, into our lives, because through all of you, we learn so much!May God continue to be with you all and may each and every day bring you and your family, and all of us, nearer to Him.
Love Henry and Julia M

 
At December 12, 2007 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, thank you for posting and sharing such special moments with Amryn! The pictures are incredibly breathtaking!! I'm glad that you are finding the strength and courage to enjoy and treasure each day with Amryn and your girls with Nick. The emotional rollercoaster ride will continue to be there, but it is hepful to have loved ones surround you and sometimes ground you. We continue to pray and think of you often, hoping that your good days are most definately uplifting and full of Joy in the Lord and that your bad days are filled with comfort from our Lord who works His good to all those who love Him.
Hugs to you all Lisa,
Love, Leona and family

 
At December 13, 2007 2:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post and the beautiful pictures - wonderful to see. You are in my prayers and constantly in my thoughts. It's nice to see you and your family enjoying Amryn. It is a blessing to be able to have her ... even if it's just for a moment. Easier said then done, I imagine, and sorry if that hurts to hear it. Hope you have a 'good' day today, take care and hugs to you!
Audrey and family L.

 
At December 13, 2007 3:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continuing to wish you all the best under the grace and blessings of our faithful saviour.

Bill and Joanna Vanderpol

 
At December 13, 2007 6:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nick and Lisa - you are still very much in our thoughts and prayers. I've commented once before, but wanted to let you know we're readers of your blog. Praise Him for your amazing devotion and love. Brian and Joyce Hendricks

 
At December 13, 2007 8:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love seeing these adorable pictures. She is beautiful, and I'm so glad she's able to experience all those things too. Love the gift your sister gave her, so very thoughtful and meaningful.

Praying for all of you, and especially about the vomiting and choking. I can imagine that is so scary.

 
At December 16, 2007 12:01 PM , Blogger Valerie or Arnold Sikkema said...

Nick and Lisa,

I want you to know that we are praying for you and your family, we pray that you will feel God's presence in this time.

God Bless,

Arnold and Valerie Sikkema,
William, Kristin and Nadine

 
At December 17, 2007 7:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick & Lisa, May the Lord continue to surround you with all His love and care and grant you all that you need. Your dear little Amryn is absolutely beautiful! You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Cheryl Vandeburgt

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home