Amryn's 7th week
Amryn has experienced a lot this past week! Her first Christmas, her first night away from me, and two birthday parties!
Nick's birthday, Christmas Eve, was a busy day, as my sister and her family came over during the day and Nick was on the phone a lot with his family and friends. In the evening, we had planned to spend some time together, but unfortunately Amryn was not doing well, and we almost took her to the hospital. She was having trouble breathing, and no matter what we tried, nothing seemed to help. Her new medication is supposed to "keep things down" so she won't vomit as much, but in the process it seems to make everything in her tummy very thick, so when she does have reflux, it gets stuck in the back of her throat. She was too weak that night to cough it up or swallow it, so instead it sat in her throat and caused her to have breathing difficulties. At about 3 am we were considering taking her to emerg, but then she suddenly started breathing well again, so we were VERY relieved. She was able to get through it on her own, which is a very good thing.
Christmas Day we went to my Mom and Dad's and had a wonderful day, and Amryn did not throw up at all! A complete turn-around from the night before. During dinner we had her in her basket bed up on a box so she could see what was going on at the table, and every once in awhile she would wake up and look around. She even stayed awake and alert the whole time we were exchanging gifts. She loved the noise, the lights, the laughter... it was really special to have her share in all of it, and to have so much family there to share it with.
On Tuesday night we had a respite nurse come in so that I could try to get some sleep. It was Amryn's first time being out of our bedroom during the night, and she hated it! We went to bed at 11:30, but I couldn't sleep because I could hear Amryn crying. The nurse was good with her; tried to sing to her, rock her, cuddle her... but Amryn did not stop crying until I came out and held her. The same thing happened all night... every few hours I would hear her fuss and whimper and cry and she would only stop if she heard my voice or if I would hold her!! It was actually kind of cute! I should have been annoyed, but instead it made me love her more. Sometimes I feel like all my efforts are in vain, but that night my motivation was renewed. It reminded me that she needs me not only for her basic needs, but for comfort too! Just because I am her Mommy. I'm going to miss her so much.
On Thursday we had another uplifting visit from our Pastor. We really appreciate these visits. And the girls love having a new audience. It's funny how they try so hard to get his attention and just run around and play even though we are in deep serious conversation and even shedding some tears. It's just become a new norm for them, I guess!
Friday we had another nurse come for a "meet and greet". She has never cared for a baby so young, and wanted to get acquainted with Amryn and our routine. She was supposed to be the one who was to come on Sunday morning so Nick and I could go to church together, but we have since decided to cancel that. I don't feel comfortable leaving Amryn alone with a stranger. If we are in the other room is one thing, but out of the house is another... even though church is just down the road, I'd be nervous during the whole service. But we had this nurse come in just in case she ends up helping us out at another time.
Friday was Lydia's birthday (see previous post) and Amryn blissfully slept through the party. Lydia had us in stitches, though! She is such a funny kid. Amryn had another good day...she never seems to throw up or choke when other people are around. As soon as they all left she started it up again! I spent the morning and a good part of the day trying to track down our pediatrician to tell him the new med is not working, and to try to get a suctioning machine put in the house. At the end of the day, the doctor had still not returned my messages and attempts to page him, and three public health people called at different times to try to talk us out of getting the machine. Apparently it is quite invasive and could actually cause more problems if not used correctly, and they don't think it is necessary yet. Plus getting one would mean having more people come to the house to assess Amryn, train us in using it, signing papers, etc. So in the end we agreed that perhaps her episode of breathing trouble was an isolated incident and if it did happen again, we would call 911 and if she was made stable, would head over to Canuck Place where we would have all the things needed to deal with such difficulties. We pray it won't happen again.
So, after another week, Amryn is not doing as well. We are noticing some changes. Her muscle tone is much weaker; when I unbundle her for a bath her arms just limply fall to the sides. She no longer needs to wear scratch mittens, as she can no longer bring her hands to her face to pull out her tube. Her colour is getting more pale and bluish, meaning her heart is probably not pumping as strongly. She just looks more tired and it is harder to get her to smile. She also has lost her lusty cry. But we don't give up! There are still times where she is wide awake and bright-eyed and melting our hearts. We still love her to bits and spoil her like crazy. One day at a time. It is so difficult and exhausting to know what the end of this story will be, but to still carry on with normal life. My biggest struggle now is trying not to think too much about how much I will miss her.
Someone asked us to please post a video of Amryn. I will try to get one together sometime today or tonight. Maybe one of her smiling or "playing" with Lydia.
In the meantime, some photos:
Naptime with Robyn (who is still suffering from a bad cold!!)
Chubby cheeks!
We discovered that Amryn loves to suck her thumb.. she can't get her hands to her mouth, however, so we have to hold it her little thumb in place and she happily sucks away! Notice the new cheek patch and tape? Nick and I did it ourselves, since no nurse wanted to peel the duoderm off for fear of skin breakdown. We tried it, and her skin was perfect underneath, so we just replaced the patch. It looks so much better than that rolling, yucky tape!
We had a Movie Night and all snuggled down to watch "Ratatouille" on the computer.
A Christmas gift from Robyn to Amryn... a soft bunny to hang on to.
Check out the long, pretty lashes!

19 Comments:
Oh she is so very beautiful! All your girls are! Good for you for changing her patch. Amazing how the Lord just gives you the strength as mom and dad to do what nurses won't. I love the picture of her eyelashes too, they are very pretty and long! Nick and Lisa we pray that our Lord will calm/comfort your hearts when that deeper pain of how you will miss her sets in, so that you can just love and enjoy her all the more now while she is still here....And yet... how can you not feel that way!
Praying for peace and endurance for you both! And for Amyrn we pray too that she may not have more of those breathing episodes and that she may be comfortable!
((HUGS))
Tracey Stam
Lisa and Nick - thanks for sharing so much of your lives with us. We stand amazed at the beautiful life Amryn is, and the joy she does bring to you and everyone who meets her - either in person or through your blog! Know that we are here for you - and are praying for you daily. I love it how you speak of her - loving her to bits and spoiling her. What an awesome way to live! We'll continue to pray that as Tracey said - when the deeper pain of missing her sets in that God will be all the more near to you. In the meantime, you are enjoying her and that much is evident in this post!! I'll see you soon ......
HUGS - Nicole
Nick and Lisa, we continue to pray that you will feel our Father's nearness in these difficult days. Amryn may only be in your arms a little while longer, but she is already in His arms, too, and He will never let her go!
the Noots
Thanks again for sharing. The pictures are beautiful and her lashes are gorgeous. I love the one of you and Amryn, so peaceful. We continue to pray for your whole family. It's hard to trust sometimes when the fear of the unknown takes over, but we're thankful for the faith and assurance that Amryn is in the hands of the Heavenly Father, and as I've said before . . .what better hands to be in? You and Nick do such a great job taking care of Amryn. God certainly has given you the strength and knowledge you need to care for her, that much is evident!!
May God allow you MANY more moments with your little angel!
Sending lots of love and continued prayers your way!
Esther and family
Thank you so much for the update. We're quickly sneaking in a peak while we're visiting someone in Albany with mum. What a beautiful little princess Amryn is. I can't blame her for not wanting to sleep for a stranger!! Sounds like she's got a mind of her own already as well!!
Lots of love, hugs, kisses and prayers from all of us in Denmark
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
I can totally see why Amryn doesn't want to be with a nurse through the night :)...it's just not mommy! What a strong bond the two of you must have! WE believe that God's timing is always perfect and we're thankful with you that Amryn could experience 2 birthdays and Christmas...God is gracious. May you continue to feel God's presence and love especially during the times when your heart feels so torn. Once again, I just love the pictures...so beautiful! All 3 girls are just gems! Praying for you Lisa and Nick...
hugs, Leona
Thanks for sharing, again, Lisa. The love you have for little Amryn is very evident. How cute she could only be comforted by her own mum. Very special and heartwarming. We are thankful with you, that you could share many happy moments this past week. We hope and pray that there may be many more. May God continue to surround you with His love and give you strength in caring for Amryn as she grows weaker. May God also give her peace and make her comfortable. Thinking of you all the time. Take care xx
What beautifyl pictures, and what a special bond you and little Amryn have. I'm so glad that you have these bonding moments with her, we continue to pray for you and your family. And may God continue to hug you and comfort you, and give you strength. Always in our hearts and minds.
Adalia
Dear Lisa
First, let me say Thank You!!!. I've found your story through another blog, I hope you don't mind. This Christmas I was feeling that my adult children were being ungreatful and selfish (long story). I cancelled Christmas at my house because I was so upset with them. After reading your story I realized that life is too short and we may not all be together next Christmas. I had Christmas at my house and a wonderful time with my children and 2 young grandchildren and for this I thank you.
Now, that said, I read your sweet little baby has reflux problems. I may have something that will help you with that. This product is wonderful. I purchased one for my daughters baby shower for her newborn. It's wonderful for babies with colic and refluc because of the way its elevated. It also nestles them, just like in the womb.
If we lived in the same province it would be yours, but if you can beg, borrow or steal one, I personally believe Amryn's reflux problem would be a thing of the past. You can purchase one at Toysrus...well actually Babiesrus.
Here are the reviews on this product. (I'm an avid believer of reading reviews on Amazon before purchasing anything)*LOL*
It's called Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Glider.
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-J1314-Fisher-Price-Soothing/dp/B000B4SVM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1199035643&sr=1-1
Again, thank you and may god bless you and your family.
I just wanted to add...my grandaughter slept in the Soothing Motions Glider until she was 5 months old. It was a godsend.
It's expensive but well worth it. You might be able to find a used one if you have any second hand baby shops in your area.
Seven weeks of precious love
Granted to you from our Father above;
Hugs, kisses, cuddles and much more
For precious Amryn, you so adore
May you share many more precious times
So we can continue to read your story lines;
A story of your journey which inspires us all,
Of your love, trust in God, humbleness, faith and acceptance of it all.
May God continue to surround your family with His loving care
And to be with Amryn, so well she may fare.
From across the oceans, you've touched my life
Even though you are going thru painful times and strife
God is keeping you strong and well
So of your life you can share and tell
Of His wonderful promises and hope in Him
His shining light is never dim
Take care my friend
Hold on to the end
Think of you always and everyday
May God's love carry you thru all the way.
Hi Lisa and Nick
I am happy to hear that you are having some enjoyable times in the midst of all of the uncertainly and sadness. I wanted to let you know (again) that should you end up at Canuck Place and any of your family needs a place to stay nearby we would be delighted to help. We are also available for laundry, babysitting etc (although I’m sure they’re pretty organized for that kind of thing at Canuck Place). We pray for more good times for all of you. Hannah & John Linde
Nick and Lisa, thanks so much for taking out so much time from your already busy schedules to make these posts. You are prayed for so many times, and it is wonderful to be able to make the prayers more 'specific' if you will, with all this current information. The fact that you have the desire and strength to keep all of 'us' informed amazes us.
Amryn is just so beautiful. We will continue to pray that you have as much time as the Lord wills with her. All our best as you contiue to experience the abundant and constant prayers of those surrounding you and your family.
May the Lord be with you in 2008!
Have a blessed New Year.
Brian and Lisa Vanderhout and family
Dear Nick, Lisa and family,
We continue to keep you in your prayers! May God grant to you His nearness and surround you with His love and care in order for you to be comforted and strengthened each day as you care for baby Amryn. May He allow you to enjoy each day that you still have with her. May He also be with Amryn each day as she copes with the infirmities of this life at such a young age. As another year ends, we would like to wish you the Lord's blessings for 2008. Come Lord Jesus Come! Job and Donna Schenkel
Dear Nick and Lisa, thanks for such a beautiful post, Amryn is so beautiful, the picuture of Lisa and Amryn together is priceless. WE continue to pray that God will sustain and comfort you in this time and the time to come. all of our love.
Katherine (and family)
I've thought of your family a lot during these special days, and am glad that you've had beautiful days together. We continue to commend you to the care of our heavenly Father.
Sarah V.
Praying that you are continuing to feel God's 'hug' around the both of you. Beautiful pictures ... the one of Amryn's eye is awesome! You are in my thoughts and prayers often throughout the day ... may God send you comfort. Take care, hugs to you all and call me about taking Robyn and Lydia!
Audrey L.
Dear Nick and Lisa and families. We heard that your dear Amryn passed away yesterday. We are thankful with you that she is now at home with the Lord but we know that you will always have a place in your hearts for her. She touched the lives of more people than you can even imagine.
praying for peace and strength for you over this next while as you bury her earthly body and wait with all of us to be joined with her again in her Heavenly body at the Lord's appointed time.
marie stad, Neerlandia
we are praying for you guys and your family for the comfort of His hands . Im very sorry for your loss.
Tania Grim
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home