Monday, September 03, 2007

*sigh*

My heart hurts! Robyn has been reluctant to talk about school in the past few weeks, but tonight before bed, she let out all her worries and fears. Today was an emotional day for her anyway, as she was reunited with her best friend from Ontario, Melanie after not seeing her since our move last year. Last night and this morning she was quite concerned that Melanie would look different (maybe she meant act differently towards her?) and had been sooooo excited for this day to come (she crossed off the days in big red x's on a calendar. We spent the day with Pete and Chandra and the kids at Dino Land and had a great time...but Robyn was sad to say goodbye to Melanie. Then, after dinner we mentioned school tomorrow and she completely broke down! Hot tears streaming down her face, she climbed into my lap and said she was so scared! Scared that she would not know anything, that she wouldn't know anyone, that she wouldn't remember how to say the teacher's name, and a long list of other things that are (I'm assuming) normal for a first grader going to a new school. It was hard to hear and I wasn't sure what to say. I wracked my brain for all those tips I read in parenting books and magazines over the years... and dove into a good ol' pep talk. I think I did ok- she stopped crying and eventually said she felt better... she even wanted to pack her bag and choose what went into her lunch. I encouraged her to pack a family photo into her bag (one of those book tips!) and that made her much happier. What a tug on the heartstrings though, to see you child so scared and unsure! I wish I could follow her around all day! I have visions of her wandering around the playground, all alone...I often saw her at W of O alone, but at least her cousins were around. But, as I told her, I'll probably pick her up when the day is done and hear all about how great her day was and how she was silly to worry and that grade one is just as fun and easy as kindergarten!
And, of course, when Nick heard me giving my pep talk he said, "Can I have one, too?!" So Robyn had to laugh that even teachers get nervous! And, I reminded her...teachers have to remember not just one name, but a whole class (or more) worth! (;
We'll see how tomorrow goes for all of us...

Robyn and Melanie:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home