Amryn at the zoo!
Ok...I have to make one more post! Tonight my Mom alerted me to the "top news" story that the Aldergrove zoo named their baby giraffe after Amryn! Let me start at the beginning...
On Dec 20 I read in the paper that a baby giraffe had been born at the zoo. This zoo is a 5 minute drive from our house, we have a yearly membership and visit there often. The giraffe was weak and had trouble nursing right from the start, and had to be cared for away from the public eye and with special attention. They tried to get it to nurse by holding it up to its mother, but that didn't work. They were concerned that it wouldn't make it, and began feeding it through an NG tube. I immediately said to Nick, "that giraffe reminds me of Amryn!" The article had said that they did not have a name for the giraffe yet... then on January 5, the day after Amryn passed away, I read that the giraffe was doing much better, and I don't know why, but I felt like writing an email to them and telling them about Amryn and the similarities I found between her story and the giraffe's. Here is the letter I sent to the PR person and her response:
Dear Jody,
I’m not sure if this is the right person to be sending this too… but if not, perhaps you could pass it along to the right one.
My family and I moved recently to Aldergrove and have become members of the zoo. We have visited already four times and have brought some visiting friends as well. We all love your zoo.
I was wondering if I could suggest a name for your baby giraffe. When I read the story of its birth in the paper, I had recently given birth to a baby as well, and our daughter was sick and being fed through an NG tube, just like your giraffe. And like your baby, ours was also weak and unable to nurse from me. Right away I said “That baby giraffe is just like Amryn…”
On January 4th, our baby passed away from Mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome. The next day I read that your giraffe was doing well and I was very happy to read that. In a way I feel a connection to him since I thought about the similarities between our babies. Our daughter’s name was Amryn…a name that my husband made up. It is a gender-neutral name, and I was wondering if you would consider it in memory of our baby.
Thanks,
Lisa
Hello Lisa,
Please accept our sincere condolences for your loss….there is never the right words to say at times like this….
Thank you for sharing your story with us and your idea in memory of your little girl. It is a beautiful name and personally I love the gender-neutral names, maybe because I have had one all my life as well.
Our baby giraffe is doing well and getting stronger by the day, but we want to be extremely careful before making any decisions about his name. We are definitely considering all ideas surrounding his name at this time, but we would greatly appreciate it if you could give us another week or so to get back to you…..
Warm regards,
Jody
Then, this evening my Mom told me she heard on the 6 o'clock news that the baby giraffe was named Amryn and she couldn't believe her ears! I hadn't told anyone about the letter....
So now there is a cute little giraffe nearby, named after our precious little Amryn, that we can visit. Kind of funny, kind of cute, kind of strange... but kind of neat, too.
Here's the article from the website: (one thing they got wrong was that Amryn was born at the same time and on the same day as the giraffe...the reporter must have embellished the story...)
They also say that "Amryn" means "mighty nation", but actually that meaning is for the name "Amram" which was, in the Bible, the father of Moses.
Here are the links to the two news stories (Langley Times, Vancouver Sun). A copy is shown below.
Baby giraffe meets the public
By Monique Tamminga - Langley Times - February 20, 2008
On his two-month birthday, Amryn, the Greater Vancouver Zoo's baby giraffe, poked his head through the window of his heated enclosure and gave the crisp February air a long lick on Wednesday morning.
With his parents outside enjoying a healthy breakfast of 20-foot tall bamboo trees, little Amryn looked graceful and inquisitive, stretching his head way out, for his first exposure to the public.
Weighing in at a healthy 242 pounds and now standing over seven feet tall, zoo veterinarian Dr. Bruce Burton felt he was ready to start seeing the world and to greet his many fans.
"He doesn't drink as much as we'd like but his weight is good. We believe everything is 99 per cent safe," said Burton, with Amryn grabbing a lick of his sleeve.
Burton was there for the birth of Amryn, monitoring him every day for the first while. He was also checking his blood cell counts and watching his progress, which didn't look good at first.
"He became dehydrated so he was on an IV for a while. Then we tried a milk replacer. He didn't like it. We switched him to whole cow's milk and he perked right up."
Amryn was born Dec. 20, 2007 at 144 pounds. He was born six feet tall, and his mother Eleah had a natural birth.
But Burton said while it wasn't a difficult birth, Amryn was weak and couldn't walk. He also didn't have a sucking reflex and had colic.
He also went nameless for some time, while zoo staff anxiously kept a 24-hour watch of the gentle giant, hopeful he would make it through those precious first days and weeks.
Then in January, the zoo received an e-mail from loyal supporters of the zoo about a possible name for the baby giraffe.
The supporters asked if the zoo would consider naming the baby giraffe Amryn, in memory of their child who had died, but was born at the same time and day as the giraffe.
The parents felt an immediate connection with the zoo's baby giraffe since their child was born at the same time and they had also struggled with feeding and nursing from day one, said zoo spokesperson Jody Henderson.
The child died from Mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome, which is a associated with grossly reduced cellular levels of Mitochondrial DNA in infancy, she said.
"After some research of the name Amryn, the zoo found it to be of Hebrew origin and to mean "nation of might," which we all agreed was appropriate to our baby giraffe, considering he struggled in the beginning but has come through strong and is pretty mighty," said Henderson.
Just recently, when the sun came out, Amryn had his first outdoor experience.
He was running and jumping around with the animal care staff and his proud parents were close by, watching him.
Slowly, zoo staff will introduce him back to his parents, using the safety of a barrier between them at first.
"Giraffes are tall and gangly and we don't want him to get hurt when they are around him," said animal care manager Jamie Dorgan.
Eventually, the three will live together, he said.
The first baby born to mother Eleah was a girl. She struggled from day one and didn't live past a week. It was hard on staff and that's why they are extra pleased with Amryn's recent progress.
"It's just thrilling," said Dorgan.
Giraffes are the tallest mammals in the world, reaching upwards of 18 feet, weighing up to 3,000 pounds.
Giraffes also have the largest hearts, weighing up to 25 pounds. Their tongues are the size of half an arm and have the same abilities as a hand. gripping leaves from the tallest trees. They only sleep 30 minutes a day, in five-minute intervals.

Baby giraffe making headway at Greater Vancouver Zoo
Chantal Eustace, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2008
VANCOUVER -- Amryn winds his neck back and swoops down to a keeper's hand to gobble a mouthful of bamboo leaves, a food the Greater Vancouver Zoo's two-month-old giraffe has just started to eat.
"He's doubled his weight since birth," said zoo spokesman Jamie Dorgan, handing Amryn another snack today, hours after the calf's first public appearance on his two-month birthday. "He's doing so much better."
Dorgan said that despite a rocky beginning for the baby giraffe -- Amryn was initially rejected by his mother and had to be bottle-fed by zoo staff - the 110-kilogram baby is thriving.
The calf is the second in two years born to Eleah, the zoo's female giraffe. The first calf died of pneumonia after eight days.
Amryn is named in memory of an Aldergrove child who was born around the time as the giraffe but did not survive, prompting the child's parents to contact the zoo since they "felt an immediate connection" to the giraffe, which was also struggling with its health.
Amryn now gets bottle-fed about 10 litres of milk a day, Dorgan said, which will be reduced over the next few weeks as the calf gets weaned onto solid foods like the bamboo leaves.
"He's a pretty amazing animal," Dorgan said, as Amryn went for another bite. "He's doing very well."
Giraffes, the tallest land mammal, can grow to be up to five and a half metres tall and weigh 1,360 kg.

33 Comments:
Wow Lisa, what an amazing story. How very special for you all to have the giraffe named Amryn. I'm sure the girls will think it's just wonderful.
Wow Lisa that is amazing... your daughter will forever touch the hearts of many. Robyn and Lydia must be over the moon!!
What an incredibly neat story, Lisa. It must have been very difficult for you to write that letter, and I'm so glad that they followed your suggestion!
Wow Lisa. How wonderful to have a giraffe named for Amryn! I think that you might be making extra trips in the coming years.
Love, Evelyn
Incredible! It is so nice that this giraffe will be a nice touch to Amryn's memory. Your girl's will be estatic when they go to the zoo and see this creature have the same name as their beautiful sister.
This is so special! I'm sure you'll be making many more trips to the zoo. Our girls wanted to go today when they heard the story. This is a wonderful posting to complete your blog.
Wow, that is a really neat story for sure! Like the previous comments have all said, your girls will be thrilled to go to the zoo and see the developments of this baby giraffe named after Amryn. What a treat for them. So glad the zoo decided on the name!
that's so neat! We'll have to make a trip to the zoo soon to meet Amryn there. I agree with other posters - the girls must be thrilled!!
Hi Lisa and Nick,
My husband and I saw the news story last night and were shocked at the name choice too. I was wondering if they had heard about your daughter and were inspired to name their "baby" after your baby.
What a tribute to Amryn's memory considering the zoo is in your town.
We continue to pray for you and your family and are thankful that you still continue to share your lives with us.
Adriana & Michael Pasche
The kids couldn't wait to share the news with their teachers and friends today.
It's as Sarah said this morning...
"We'll always remember Amryn and now we'll be reminded of her too!"
Rachel
What a great way to have your spirits lifted during this difficult time. I'm sure that your bond with this giraffe will continue to grow and that you'll be spending lots of time at the zoo this year! What a neat story - gives me goosebumps;)
That is so amazing!!!
Thanks for the big smile it brings to my face -- I can't wait to tell everyone! :o)
What an amazing way to remember Amryn -such joy!! Wow - the Lord works in such amazing ways!
Deb Alkema
That is so cool! What a great way to remember Amryn! Maybe well have to visit the zoo when we come in May.
Trish
PS I got a kick out of this paragraph:
Weighing in at a healthy 242 pounds and now standing over seven feet tall, zoo veterinarian Dr. Bruce Burton felt he was ready to start seeing the world and to greet his many fans.
:o)
Precious story!
Blessings and prayers,
Holly
wow that is wonderful, I missed the story on the news (do not get to watch it often as the kids are either around or it is to late). What a neat thing for your girls to be able to go to the Zoo and visit another Amryn. Take care Lisa and I will ohone you soon (so sorry I have not done it yet, I have been thinking of you tons though)
Katherine
Unbelieveable!! I love that touching story wow!! Robyn and Lydia are going to be regular visitors forsure now. I also love the video clip of the girls singing, beautiful singing!! And Lisa it was nice to hear you voice, very comforting. God bless you both Nick and Lisa
Love James and Ang Meerveld
How very special to have baby giraffe named after Amryn. Very very special. I'm sure there will be extra little trips to the zoo just to say hi to 'Amryn'. I too got goosebumps reading your letter. Take care.
Helen
Hi Lisa, I read that story in the Vancouver Sun today as welland was going to phone you but figured a lot of people probably would so I refrained. It just blew me away when I read the namef irst. How beautiful and special that is for you all. Enjoy visiting him !
...and so the Lord provides a smile among the tears! His blessings abound.
Bert & Anne Van Straten
Incredible! What a story...
Others have mentioned goosebumps and they are present here too. Lisa, Nick and girls we wish you God's abundant blessings as you take your life back into the 'private'. Know that you are thought of and prayed for often!! We shall continue. Thank you for sharing your updates with all of us. All the best with your books for your girls.
God Bless....
Brian and Lisa Vanderhout
That is just too neat! Good for you for going ahead and writing that letter!
Still thinking of you and praying all is more well then not.
hugs,
Audrey L.
What a neat story! Thank you for sharing it... We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
All the best,
Ed & Henrietta VanderLaan
We too were thrilled to read your posting about the baby giraffe. We have missed your blog, but continued to pray for your family. Good to hear you are all coping, some days better than others, but managing to get through this tough time. May the Lord continue to surround you with His tender care.
John and Thea Heyink
What a special moment for your family! Lydia and Robyn must be so excited about that! We too would like to wish you the Lord's blessings in the coming days, weeks, months and years as you continue to work through the moments of sadness of when you miss both Rachel and Amryn. We pray that God will continue hold you all close to Him. We look forward to that great and glorious day, when we all will be reunited in His presence.
Love Henry & Julia Meerveld
Thanks for sharing this special story with us. Very neet to hear about a baby giraffe being named after your precious Amryn, with the same kinda sittuation.
I bet your girls are so excited, and am sure the story will be spread via their mouths. So CUTE!!!
Melanie VanOene
That is very special, especially for your little girls. Enjoy each of these blessings that God sends your way.
Hi Nick and Lisa - just dropping in to say we still think of you and pray for you often. Hope things are going OK for you:)
Lisa, what a lovely story. Thanks for sharing. :-)
Lisa - I pray that God will continue to uphold you and comfort you in your loss of your dears Rachel and Amryn. Your girls Robyn and Lydia are certainly very beautiful, and may they continue to bring you much joy and love. Our family plans to visit the zoo again this summer, and I'll remember you as we look for Amryn the giraffe. It must have been very hard, so thank you for sharing your story.
What an amazing thing. Thank you for sharing your story with me. I too, will now think of your precious Amryn when I see giraffes. She is so precious. Thank you for following my journey on my blog. I will continue to follow you and your sweet family.
God Bless you and your family.
Suzie
Cooper's Momma
Hi from another bereaved BC mumma. I just saw your comment on Margaret's blog and had to pop over. We lost our George in May in North Vancouver but have moved to the Valley. What a lovely gesture for the zoo to name the baby giraffe after your Amryn! That's really beautiful. (((Hugs)))
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home