Thursday, May 17, 2007

Drum Roll, Please....

I felt our baby kick and move for the first time!
Yesterday, my midwife tried to listen to the baby's heartbeat after my check-up, and at first couldn't hear anything but the occasional "Poof!" and "Pow!" She exclaimed, "Those are strong kicks we're hearing!! Can't you feel those?!" Apparently she was listening to the baby's feet and its head was down in the depths, so we couldn't hear the heart. But, boy, did we hear some clear kicks! Later on the baby flipped and then we could hear it's heart. Phew! It was so neat. Lydia was there to hear it too, and she sat wide-eyed and still the whole time. Afterwards, she asked if my tummy was all better and if the doctor made my owie go away and the baby come out. I had to explain a few things to her...
Anyway, in the evening, now more aware of my tummy and the possibility that those flutters and pops I've been feeling are actually not just bubbles of air, I went to choir quite excited about it all. Then, after we sang the first song, I felt it...a little nudge from the inside! A tiny, but unmistakable kick! Then, after the last song, another one! And this morning, as I lay in bed trying to motivate myself to get up and act as referee between the girls, I felt the baby turn. It was a slow flutter and was so neat to feel!! Just amazing.
In 4 weeks I'm going for my first ultrasound. Here in BC you won't be told the sex of the baby until you're 20 weeks, to avoid abortions being done for unwanted female babies. Some places won't even tell the sex. But my midwife wrote on the ultrasound form that I would like to find out. Nick and I have chosen to find out the sex for all three of our girls, and although at first I thought I wanted to try the "surprise" route this time (although every time it was still a surprise!)we decided that given our circumstance, we want to "know" this baby for as long as possible. With Rachel, I'm so glad that we had her in our care for 10 weeks, but also had a special bond with her while she was inside me, knowing she was a girl, giving her a name, and loving her as our daughter Rachel even before she was born. And with Robyn and Lydia, it was wonderful to have "known" them for so long before their births, too! So either way we benefit (:
So, time is precious for us, and we're excited to find out who this little monkey is!

7 Comments:

At May 17, 2007 9:02 AM , Blogger nicolevw said...

Aw man, it's only 9 a.m. and I'm all teary-eyed. What a beautiful post. I so totally remember the first time I felt Ethan move. (strange - I don't remember the other kids). It's an awesome feeling isn't it? Totally defies the belief that unborn babies aren't "alive". I think yours and Nick's choice to know the sex of your baby ahead of time is very wise - and very precious. Praying that all things will go well for you!! Enjoy this baby to the fullest!

 
At May 17, 2007 10:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing like those first kicks. It's so incredibly incredible!!!!
Here in Kamloops they don't tell you the sex of the baby either, but they will in Vernon, so I've know people to go to Vernon for it. Enjoy all the movements!!!!

 
At May 17, 2007 11:37 AM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Awww... so sweet! And so exciting! I wish I had known what Lauren was before she was born, but they weren't so ready to divulge any 'secrets' back then as they do now again... So do we get to know too? :o) JJ I love all the feelings of pregnancy -- such an amazing time! Praying for all the best with you and you precious bundle of joy...

 
At May 17, 2007 3:26 PM , Blogger Henry and Jules said...

Hi Lisa,
That is so exciting, feeling the baby for the first time...It is always nice to have the reassuring kick every once in awhile! We never found out what sex Leah was until she was born...it was fun that way. But with the twins, and the situation we were in with them, we wanted to know them as our individual girls too. We named them at our 25 week ultrasound (after MANY ultrasounds of not knowing...). It was nice to give them names and we have fond memories of that ultrasound, even though it was in the middle of many tense weeks. Enjoy your pregnancy, and we pray that the Lord will grant you much strength and peace during this pregnancy time and after, in whatever He places upon you. Take care,
Julia

 
At May 17, 2007 3:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

((HUGS))

We hold your baby in our prayers!

 
At May 19, 2007 1:33 AM , Blogger Chantelle said...

Wow, that's all so exciting for you Lisa. Though I've never heard of not being able to find out the sex of your baby!! We didn't find out with our first, but with the twins we did and it was still just as exciting.

 
At May 19, 2007 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

we found out what Sarah was (our fifth) but we had to go all the way to surrey to find out as in chilliwack they will not let you know at all. they did not tell us at the ultra sound we had to wait till our doctors appointment to get the knowledge. we had mixed emotions about if we actally liked finding out or not, still do this day sometimes I was glad we did and sometimes not. it is nice to be able to know them and name them. but beware if you are not planning on telling anyone what you are having they will try to catch in slipping and either saying he or she when you talk about the baby.

Katherine

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home