Monday, April 23, 2007

Red grapes = migraine

I came to a sad discovery this weekend. I have developed an allergy to red grapes! I have always loved them. Yummy, fresh, crunchy red grapes. But on Friday I ate a handful and promptly got a very bad migraine- saw stars and everything!! Then on Saturday I tried to eat some again, with the same effect...a pounding headache a few minutes after consuming those lovely orbs of sweetness.
I have always had a sensitivity to red wine (headache, flushed cheeks, queasiness) but never noticed the same reaction to plain grapes before. How odd to suddenly notice a reaction! Maybe it's just a weird pregnancy thing.
So I think I'll have to say goodbye to my love, the red grape. ): I guess I can look on the bright side and be thankful that I'm not allergic to my other love, chocolate! (;

10 Comments:

At April 23, 2007 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or Nick, lol!

 
At April 23, 2007 1:28 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Lol Funny you should say that, because ironically, I AM allergic to nickel!! (and his name is actually "Nichol-John")

 
At April 23, 2007 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully it's just a pregnancy related allergy, then maybe afterwards you can enjoy the grapes yet again!

 
At April 23, 2007 5:06 PM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Yikes! What will keep you cool in the summer if you can't eat ice cold grapes??? What about the green grapes? And you could be stuck with the allergy forever... hopefully for your sake it won't be, and I hope you never become allergic to chocolate either!!!
:o)

 
At April 23, 2007 8:29 PM , Blogger Chantelle said...

Hey, we have something in common. Red wine gives me migraines and chocolate and cheese are some other things that can trigger them!! Not nice.
You never know, it may just be the pregnancy!!

 
At April 23, 2007 11:00 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Oh noooooooo!
Not chocolate!!!

 
At April 24, 2007 4:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Likely it's the sulfur used to preserve the grapes (also a major ingredient used to clear red wine) that you are allergic to. It’s also used to preserve color in dehydrated fruit, so try wolfing down a couple pounds of dried apricots to test the theory.

Pete

 
At April 24, 2007 5:34 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I don't know wether that is a good test of the theory...I think that eating a couple POUNDS of anything would give me a headache!

 
At April 24, 2007 5:37 PM , Blogger nicolevw said...

Aw....that's too bad. If it's the sulphur that is used to preserve grapes I'd be curious to know if you'd react to organically grown grapes - or what would happen if you ate grapes straight off a vine ......hmmm...that a theory to test? :-)

 
At April 25, 2007 1:12 PM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Lauren is demanding to see some photos of 'Eedya!' (Lydia)
:o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home