Sunday, January 28, 2007

Vancouver Voices

Last night My Mom, sister and I went to a beautiful old church in downtown Vancouver to listen to our sister-in-law, Kresha, sing. She is one of a group of three opera singers/soloists who have come together to form the "Erato Ensemble". They support local composers and artists, so a few of the songs were "World Premiers" and the composers were in the audience to hear it!! One of the soloists composed some of the songs as well, such as "Winter's Mantle" based on Psalm 147.
It was so wonderful to hear Kresha sing. I knew she had a nice voice from hearing her at my Mom's 60th birthday party, but this was the first time I have had the pleasure of seeing her perform. She has a beautiful voice! By far the best singer there. You know how you think you know someone and then you experience a bit more of their lives and then you feel like you really didn't know them after all? Well, I'm glad I was able to experience Kresha's talent first-hand. She really is a special lady. I'm so glad we live here now and have the chance to really get to know her!
After the concert, my Mom treated us to wine and cheese at a fancy shmancy place...we were told to keep an eye out for celebrities. Apparently actors and singers who are in town hang out there. We only thought that maybe the guy at the piano was Pee Wee Herman...not very exciting! But that was just a joke. Anyway, we had a great time having a "ladies night out". I never thought I cared for opera music, but it sure is more fun to listen to when it's family up there singing their heart out!

5 Comments:

At January 29, 2007 9:37 AM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

What abn amazing voice! Listening to the clip gave me shivers!
So if you don't like opera does that mean you have never been to see Phantom of the Opera???!!!!!
Hmmm.... we may have to remedy that in the next couple years! If I was a kid I would have been watching the whole show with my jaw on the floor -- it was incredible! I have seen others, too, but Phantom is my favourite by far!

 
At January 29, 2007 9:38 AM , Blogger Christina Marie said...

Sorry about the spelling -- I didn't reread it before I submitted it! That kind of morning... :o)

 
At January 29, 2007 9:50 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Actually, I have seen Phantom and The Lion King...and really enjoyed them. But that's different than just listening to soloists...growing up we used to go to hear my Mom sing with the Bach choir at the Orpheum, and I always got bored with the warbling soloists...I much preferred to hear the choir. But I guess my tastes have changed- I appreciate it more now, and even like it!

 
At January 30, 2007 7:01 PM , Blogger nicolevw said...

That IS an amazing voice! I had heard that she sung well as a soloist ...but wow! I'd LOVE to hear her as the soprano soloist for the Messiah. What a wonderful talent she has ....your Mom must enjoy it thoroughly to have a DIL like that! :-)

 
At February 03, 2007 2:41 PM , Blogger Chandra said...

Ummm, where's the clip the ladies are talking about?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home